• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 colour steel rims- why?

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:11 AM
Reaction score
IMG_0096.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
so a few buddies and I have been trying to figure out this 2 colour steel rim thing from the drag cars of the early 60s. If you don't know what I mean I'm referring to the rims being painted half and half two different colours (see pics). The ramchargers did it along with many others. Does anyone know why? I was told it has something to do with judging how much wheel spin occurred off the line but that wouldn't make sense since I've seen front rims with it too like in the pic I included. I swear as a guy in his 20s I'm never going to figure all this out! Too much to learn!

they had them on the rears also, it was to tell if the wheels where spinning and loosing traction.

they had them on the rears also, it was to tell if the wheels where spinning and loosing traction.

So the above pic of the 64 dodge is just a strange scenario (black rims on back)? i see this a lot where only the front or only the back is done.

It was the sixties.....

If the front and rears were both painted like that.....on film it would be easy to see the wheel-speed, front and rear.

Last edited:
View attachment 378996 View attachment 378997 so a few buddies and I have been trying to figure out this 2 colour steel rim thing from the drag cars of the early 60s. If you don't know what I mean I'm referring to the rims being painted half and half two different colours (see pics). The ramchargers did it along with many others. Does anyone know why? I was told it has something to do with judging how much wheel spin occurred off the line but that wouldn't make sense since I've seen front rims with it too like in the pic I included. I swear as a guy in his 20s I'm never going to figure all this out! Too much to learn!
I think with the Ramchargers car they were counting the front wheel revloutions then calculating the amount of vehicle travel to calculate the slippage of the rear wheel. A lot easier to count the front wheel as it would be spinning a slower speed as the rear tire. Just a guess?

Auto Transport Service
Back