• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2 power steering hoses leaking?

Mark1972

Local time
5:23 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys. 2 months ago I blew the high pressure power steering hose. Couldn't find one in Canada, so ordered two from Summit. Backordered of course. Once they got here, I installed one and topped up the oil. I found the leak, and it's at the hose fitting on the steering box. I thought ok, a bad hose. It happens. Today I changed the hose out. Glad I ordered two. Topped up the oil. Fired up the car. Leak. Same spot. Now the flare looks absolutely fine on both hoses. So is it the male fitting sticking out the top of the steering box? Has anyone seen this before. I can't believe both hoses are bad. The female nut on the hose threads down perfectly on the male thread. Does anyone know what size it is or do you just remove it and go to a hydraulic shop for a replacement? I'm hoping for a late summer so I can drive in to mid October. Thanks all.

Not a great pic, but when the engine is running, the oil seeps out of the fitting. Unfortunately, I'm leaving in the morning for two weeks of work, and won't have any time to dig further in to the problem until September 21st at least.

IMG_20210905_162559.jpg

Wonder female is bottom out before flare seated. Somebody posted copper washer that looked somebody cut the flare off a copper tube. Flare washer??

I also suspected the nut was too long, but it's exactly the same length as the original hose, and sits at the same depth. The flare looks perfect, and that end of the hose gets solid when the nut is tightened. So I'm guessing the nut isn't to long. It is possible that the -6AN to 5/8-18 fitting the female nut is threaded on to has become faulty, or is leaking from the 5/8" end that is threaded in to the steering box. I'll know more when I can remove it. A fitting like that should be pretty easy to find locally. I'll update when I remove it. As usual, working over 400 miles away gets in the way. Again, lol.

The male fitting on the steering box probably has an o-ring where it screws into the box.

Hey guys. Home from the mine and finally getting some miles on my car again. Regarding the leak, the fitting that the pressure hose threads on to is damaged. It is 1/2"-20 thread that threads in to the steering box, and I believe what called a 5/16" flare that the hose swivel threads on to. Well, the male face of the fitting has a small notch in it, preventing the fitting from sealing property. I took the fitting and refaced it in the lathe at work, and now it's sealing fine. Sometimes it's the simplest thing. As always, thanks for the advice.

Auto Transport Service
Back