• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2" tube hooker super comp headers-68 Charger

Bob383

Local time
5:20 PM
Reaction score
Working on friends 68 Charger with a 383. He bought Hooker super comp headers with 2" tubes when we started on it years ago. Finally got the engine and trans back in. I was checking to see how the headers would fit, well what little I tried so far no where close to going in. I know I might have to jack up engine not sure what else. Has anyone else done any thing similar? Any suggestions? I'm thinking about telling him to get smaller ones myself.

did you install the motor first, then try to put the headers in????????

Probably have to put the engine on the K frame with the headers on it
and lower the body down over like the factory did. Not a street car I hope!

Passenger's side normally will go in from underneath with the motor mount on that side loose and jacked up around an inch. Driver side might drop in from the top without loosening the mount. Removing the steering column is an option also on the driver's side. Factory starters don't always work with some headers. The Dakotas small starter works good in this case.
Coat the threads on the fasteners with Permatex #2 to prevent coolant leaks.

Last edited:
My go-to header installation technique is to remove the center link, back off t bar tension, slide t bars back, install starter, install headers. The only thing that needs to be set at the end is ride height. It is fairly quick and easy to do this on a car that is fresh or gets annual service (drag car). A 45 year old Michigan car might be a different story.

These headers have a 3 and 1 arrangement where one single header tube is installed separate. As usual, the drivers side is the worst but can be done with the engine in place but NOT with the motor mounts bolted to the K member. You need some type of jack under the oil pan to roll the engine around a bit.

That's odd, I can put my 5209's in the driver's side without unbolting the engine or transmission. Just center link, starter, and column shift rod.
67 Coronet. Should be same as a 68 charger. 383 and a 440.

That's odd, I can put my 5209's in the driver's side without unbolting the engine or transmission. Just center link, starter, and column shift rod.
67 Coronet. Should be same as a 68 charger. 383 and a 440.
Are you using a stock starter or a mini?

Thanks for the tips everyone. Glad to hear from people that have used the same headers.

Auto Transport Service
Back