• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 360 magnum

Bbodycomeback

Local time
2:13 PM
Reaction score
Good morning. I would like to know if a stock magnum crank and rods will handle 500 hp .hughes engines sent me an estimate with this hp in mind but if the stock bottom end is able to handle it i think .030 forged pistons would handle the job along with the appropriate top end .I will be using the 5409 fi air gap intake and i think 36 # injectors with the 5504 TB.i have been reading so much on this but have not found anyone doing this build with this combo.And the 360 magnum already has a 4.00 in. stroke so does it make sense to buy a rotating assembly and does tha make it a stroker engine.Frazzled¡

Your crank might handle it your factory pistons will not handle much over 400hp. The later 360s had light weight pistons and the motor was tuned specifically for weaker octane gas. If you want over 400 I would get some good forged hardware in the block

Been there done that and I say no problem. Though I think 500hp on a stock stroke crank is a bit much for a few venues, it can handle it if it is not super/turbocharged or with a lot of N02.

A cast crank and factory Hyperutecic slugs are fine at this level. Forged is NOT NEEDED.

IF you already have the 4.0 crank in the engine, (your post is confusing.) determine if it is forged or fast and the brand the crank is. Eagle cast 4.0 cranks have a bad reputation. Scat cranks are better.

I would not argue the cast to forged upgrade though.

This build will require an adjusted compression ratio, (High) fully ported heads W/good headers and a stout solid cam for a 360. With a 4.00 crank, you could back down on the cam a step or two.

I would look at a set of Trick Flow heads, a Victor intake, 800 or better carb, headers & a min. of 1-3/4 or better (or stepped headers that start @ 1-3/4) and a 11- 1 ratio.

Thank you all for your input. I got a quote from Hughes engines and I am looking at at about 8 grand. So staying stock and being content to drive a 72 se charger.

Auto Transport Service
Back