• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2000 Dakota trailer brake controller- white wire w/ red trace from switch?

YY1

Local time
10:45 AM
Reaction score
I'm putting a brake controller in temporarily to pull a 16 foot two axle trailer that I intend to transport a commercial 4 post lift on (2900 pounds).

I've got it working manually, but I'm having trouble finding a definitive answer on which wire from the brake light switch to use for the trigger.

There are several wires in the connector (about 8 IIRC).

It looks like a PITA to use a meter to find the right one because the wires are thin, and packed tight in the connector.

One source said white with either red or brown tracer but now I can't find that page and none of the other hits has that info.

Anyone hook up a controller in a 2000-ish Dak and can verify?

That one may only fit that brand of controller but I'm sure your controller manufacturer would also make one. Maybe the connectors are generic ??

no factory trailer pkg

that's what those harnesses plug into

I'm pretty sure that's a standard part of the harness in any truck for the past number of years.

nope

Factory trailer package Dakotas have a blue connector above the parking brake pedal.

Those without the trailer package do not.

Yup, got to have the trailer tow package. I had a 2000 Durango with the package but I sure ain't going to ask the X if I can take a look at it. I ordered it loaded up complete with 3.90 gears and limited slip. :( The regular Dakota and Durango has the plug in's for the lights etc but not for a brake controller.

Just need to verify that the normally open wire that gets 12v when the brake is pushed is the white with red tracer.

Once I get that I'm done.

The brakes on the trailer currently work manually using the slider on the brake controller.

All the lights work.

Just need that switched brake lead from the pedal.....

(without hopefully digging in and using a meter while upside down and twisted with no lower back support)

I can't believe no one on this board (or FABO) has installed a brake controller manually on a 2000 (give or take a few years) Dodge truck.

nope both my 2) 99 Dakota's came with a tow package
both the R/T & the SLT 4x4 (I no longer have the R/T)

you can see the controller (barely see it right under the steering column)
it's actually ordered from the factory mounted, just under the dash
(dealer mounted (? possibly) , part of the full tow package, I ordered in 1999)
just above the front console tray, buy the 4wd shifter

Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #4.JPG

factory hitch/receiver & it also came with a pigtail 'in the glove box'
to use a 4 or optional 5 pin connectors

Budnicks 99 Dakota 4x4 #1.JPG

I'm sure you can find a schematic online somewhere,
for your specific brand of controller
& a 2000 Dakota compatible

did you try MyMopar.com in the tools section
they may have a schematic, a little digging/research maybe

Last edited:
Well I got it.

After removing the plug on the brake pedal switch, there was a white wire and a white with pink trace (and some funny yellow shading).

I tried the white/pink and it worked.

Trailer brakes!

Funny an R/T came with a trailer pkg.

The factory strongly recommended against towing with the R/T due to the composite rear sway bar links.

That said, I've towed all sorts of stuff with mine and the rear bar is still just fine.

It's taken me years to get this finally set up "right".

For what seems like ever, I used the bumper ball mount.
So much so that the bumper bent upwards in the middle.

IIRC the bumper has stamped in it that the tow rating is some crazy 6900 pounds.

Problem was that I couldn't find a receiver mount that fit between my cat back duals.
It needed to curve in from the top and every one I could find curved out.

I finally broke down and bought an adjustable Draw-Tite receiver that I thought could be made to work, because it was on sale for $145, down from over $200 which I didn't want to spend on a setup I thought might work..

I was able to get that to work with a little grinding, a little drilling, a slide forward here and a slide down there, plus some upgraded frame blocks and bolts.

...and of course, the next week I found a Dakota specific Reese brand at a U-pull for $30!
...and it's made they way it needs to be to clear duals.
However, the Dak specific receiver has some pretty small bolts that look vulnerable to shear force connecting the sides to the cross bar. The adjustable is MUCH heavier, although it sits a bit lower than I'd like.

...and after five applications of the trailer brakes, they shorted out and burned up my brake controller.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

maybe try

I haven't gone there in years,
I can't attest to the quality/accuracy anymore
don't even remember what name I used, when I did

they do have a few knowledgeable/helpful members
but it's been a while, YOU but might give it (that forum) a try
if you can't find it or figure it out on your own

https://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/

Auto Transport Service
Back