• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2004 neon srt4 transmisson help!

Bb70charger500

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some transmission help with my 2004 neon srt4. So I guess I screwed up, apparently these cars had a clutch fork recalled when they were new . It would brake and jab into the clutch and tare some crap up. Well my car is now 13 years old and just it 32000 miles and I found out the hard way I didn't get it's recall done. So it was still drivable just making alot of throwout bearing noise . I called dodge and asked it they would honer the recall after he got done laughing at me I decided to just order everything and Handel it.I stopped driving the car as not to hurt anything. Finely everything was here and I had a friend and his shop avail . I drove it up there 10 min ride. Well fast forward jobs done getting the slave bleed out car acts like its in gear the whole time you hit the brakes car stalls ???? OK checked linkages no problem s checked to make sure cover went back on correct ,everything seems good. So I started pulling stuff back off and come to the conclusion that a bearing or two are burnt up and stuck . It kept grabbing here and there when I turned the axle. So I smoked the bearings I guess on my 10 min ride. No big deal Right? Wrong no one sells a rebuild kit for this trans ! Someone makes a kit but it's unavailable for sale. I've called atleast 20 company s to try and buy a kit.
I was told please ship us your trans $350-400 we will rebuild it for $2000 $3000 or $4000 depending on what quality parts you want and that price doesn't include add on's like a sure grip setup (but for fwd cars) special forks ect. Then $350-400 shipping back . Oh yeah and a 2-3 month turn around time to get the job done, so is it just me or does this sound like a load of bull s**t !!!
Guys I need help finding /getting a rebuild kit for a 2004 neon srt4 unless someone knows a guy with a rebuilt one for sale cheap and I can get it asap. I have the upgraded 3rd gear fork already.

I will add I did go to the local dealer also and they basically told me tough s**t they don't carry the parts nor could they even get them ,but they could send it out for me to get rebuilt and I can have it back in 3 months! Guys please help me before I loose my s**t and start f ing people up!
16194948_10154819715538672_1053127112971354717_n.jpg
16388155_1246109688810476_2312276615789999818_n.jpg
figured the pictures might help get you guys thinking. Thanks in advanced for the help !

Well I'm told the org bearings are not the greatest and there easily destroyed this is a 30K car figured a used one will probably have atleast 100000 miles on it and these poor little cars got the living crap beat out of them so I'm afraid of going that route.
I actually found a rebuilt one 3 hours away for $2000.00 it has 30K miles on it then the car got totaled it's a built unit stage 2 good for up-to 500 ft-lb of torque witch will ease my mind a little .it's a pain doing this job on a fwd car . But again this trans has been raced hard and has made 11.8 pass' in the 1/4 so what to do ?

Thanks didn't even think to look for a forum for these little rice rockets

I had 3 srt4 try Darrel cox racing, has a bunch of things for them. Not cheap thou but there good. Just a shot.

I'm pretty well versed in the T-850, had my SRT for 11 years till I sold it with last fall with 34,000 miles on it. While the mileage was low, there wasn't a nut or bolt on that car I didn't have my hand on at one point.

I'm having a little trouble understanding the problem you're having. Are you saying it wouldn't come out of gear? What was replaced at your buddies shop? What parts were used?

The car acts like its in gear all the time there's a nasty grinding noise coming from down in the case and more metal . I had problems moving before we did the clutch job there was small amount s of metal in the case and oil I am 100% that a bearing or two came apart . But my problem is I can't find a rebuild kit anywhere there's 3-4 company s rebuilding them but it's around 3-4K I can rebuild myself but can't get the parts

I have the same problem as you. And I have got the same results
as you. I figure it will sit in the yard till it melts into the ground!

Yeah but my car is like new with only 30000 miles I recently bought it as my reliable transportation . Jokes on me I guess !

I think a used tranny for $900 would be the best way to deal with the issue...

Too bad you didn't have full coverage and hit something in the road going through the transmission that would be covered by collision...

Auto Transport Service
Back