• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2007 Honda CR-V PITA

roadrunnerh

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:04 AM
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I'm thought I would post on here to get your thoughts and to check if you've ever experienced this...
Today, my 16 yr old daughter calls from school parking lot, the Key FOB won't unlock the car. I ask where the other key is located since I'm at home. My 14 yr old has it in her bookbag because after all she needs to get in the car in the morning instead of having to stand and wait. 16 gets the other key, FOB doesn't work either. I asked her to try the actual key to open the door. Doesn't work. WHAT?! What do you mean neither key will open the door?
They do not work. The lock will not stay in either position!
This is a problem with Hondas I briefly read? Dead battery and I can not even get in the car to pop the hood release. Pry doorframe? UGH!
This vehicle does not have a special "hidden square key lock" on the trunk/hatch lid.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm mainly venting here... :BangHead:

Seriously I’d call a dealership. With today’s technology you’ll be unlikely to do anything but damage the car trying to get in.

First, get new batteries for Fob’s. Once that happens, the transponder in each Fob sends a signal to the BCM (body control module) and says “it’s cool, open the doors or start the car”. I suspect, since a signal wasn’t received, the BCM kept the door locks from unlocking.

Not sure what years they hid the key hole behind the door handle. But this may be an option.

Pry the fob open and put a new battery in it. Maybe that will work.

Valet keys are a good feature .

also check to see if you have the feature where you hold the unlock on the fob. The windows might go down.

Sounds like the door lock cylinder is seized. From never being used. Ie, nobody uses a key anymore.
Very common.

Locksmith's now use an inflatable air bag to wedge the sedan style doors open enough to get a stick in to activate the interior button or a hook for the manual lock (if it's doable).

The hood release might be easier to hook than some newer lock "levers" I've seen

I bought the exact same air bag at Home depot for $15.

07 crv, I'd just take the plates off and leave it there, get her a good old american toyota!

my batt. went dead in the 05 mag rt and of course the locks are seized, had to unbolt hood release and fish jumper cable in to boost terminals to get it unlocked!

Isn't technology wonderful ?

A brick still works the same as it always has..... just a soon as you throw it thru the window.
A tip tho... throw it thru the passenger side...its gonna make a mess.

JK, good luck with the dang Honda.
I did learn something similar just recently... remember when cars with factory alarms would DIASABLE when you turn the actual key in the door??? Nowadays it actually sets the alarm off because they decided the KEY FOB IS THE ONLY WAY TO PROVE ITS YOUR CAR. WTH??

IIRC some Honda's (Accords?) have lock solenoid issues as they age. Solenoid can't make up it's mind where it wants to be.

Thanks for all of the replies. @YY1 I ended up using two inflatable air wedges and got a wire in to pull the inside door handle and got in the car, after numerous attempts at the unlock lever. The battery was toast. Door lock button from inside wouldn't work.

Auto Transport Service
Back