• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 just killed my TV. Any recommendations?

451Mopar

Local time
12:14 AM
Reaction score
Like most of us, 2020 is a kick in the balls.
Wife is still in the hospital, but getting better now thanks for all your prayers.
Then tonight, the TV quit. Checked all the normal stuff. I'm pretty sure it's toast.
So, any recommendations for a new TV? The Old one was a Samsung 60" LED?
Seems all the new TVs I looked at are "smart" and 4K?
Looks like there are several nice? 65" TVs in the $500 to $1,000 range?

Samsung make great quality TV's. I have 3 of them.

4f56p7.jpg

Wife is still in the hospital, but getting better now thanks for all your prayers.
Then tonight, the TV quit. Checked all the normal stuff. I'm pretty sure it's toast.
https://www.cnet.com/reviews/tcl-6-series-2020-roku-tv-improved-picture-incredible-value-review/

Do a YouTube search for your make and model tv. Sometimes it's easy to fix it yourself.

I have enjoyed the Samsung. I think it is a 2007 model? It had the blinking power light when it went out and now no light at all.
One search said maybe power supply?
I think I will replace it, and look at it later. If it is an easy fix, I will put it in the Family room.
Was looking at the VIZIO "P65Q9-H1". Seemed to have decent reviews, but is at the high end price wise.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/65-cla...rt-vizio-smartcast-tv/6416449.p?skuId=6416449

Had a Samsung 50"for about 10 yrs. Last November started going fuzzy on each side. Junked it and bought a Vizeo 51" HD. So far so good. Very good picture. Maybe it will last 10 yrs. too.

Look at the OLED tvs if you can swing it, these are awesome. They have come down in price and if you can get it on sale.....came down to two Sony and LG and I went with LG, The Sony tv is an LG TV with the Sony toys on top of it. Really love the look and color of this tv............:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Paid a lot for a Samsung, 2 years in it started getting lines across the screen. Bought my son a cheap ($400) tv at Walmart (Vizio 50”). Never a problem and the picture is much better than the Samsung.

@451Mopar Yea, these usually are pretty easy to fix. Open it up and look at the power supply section of the circuit board for bulged capacitors. Then replace them. There are plenty of yootube videos on how to do this and what to look for. Search for your specific model as you may get lucky. I’ve done this a half dozen times with 100% success.

Buy a new one and use the fixed one in another room, like you planned.

If you like good picture quality for cheap go with Vizio. If you are going to use the apps on the tv, then buy Samsung.

I like samsung. Weve had our 50” for 10 years and still working. Touch wood.

i have a vizio hd for about 7 years no problems i would buy another one

I like my Samsung. I use the YouTube app on it daily. My next will definitely be an OLED. Most tvs last 10+ years now so you can't go wrong. Buy your next tv with a credit card that gives you an extra year of warranty.

I have an lg 55" led 4k blah blah ....
It's great had it when 4k was just being talked about.
My father in law has a vizio 60" smart tv
Looks great to .
He is looking to upgrade to the 70" for $600
Mine was more money but the picture on both it's about the same I don't have 4 k stuff as it was kinda a flop and there's not much of it out there !
I would definitely get a smart tv I us that more then the cable I can go on youtube and others right in the tv (the baby lives a show on youtube)

So I was stupid when the 4kUHD came out 5 yrs ago, spent $4k on a 65" 6 mons later they were $1500. Our 12 year old bedroom tv went out and replaced it with a $500 Samsung and it probably has a better pic... I would buy the cheapest name brand in the size you want... don't be stupid like me, the technology changes faster than you can unbox a new one. Sam's usually has pretty good deals.

Have a Vizio (I think it's a 42") smart TV but only use is as a dumb TV and it's about 7 or 8 now. Also have a smaller Samsung that died around 5 years old. Think it's a 30. Shut if off one night and it never talked again but for some reason I put it up in the closet figuring I'd open it up and see what could be seen....but Samsung products haven't been all that great for me.

The Samsung was sort of expensive back when I bought it, but got a good discount on it because it was a display model. No apps at all, I just was using the PlayStation apps. I think I put the wrong part number version. I think the "P659-g1" might have been the one I looked at. I guess it was last years model, and was discounted too, so less than $1,000.
I'm sure if I waited for black friday, I could score a deal on something. Just don't want to go without a TV that long.

And I hear that the big sales like black Friday stuff the products have cheaper parts in them.....heard this from more than one source.

Auto Transport Service
Back