• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

22" radiator

Napoleon1991

Local time
10:31 PM
Reaction score
Recently Ive been searching through alot of threads on here about cooling issues. Cant seem to find a straight answer to my overheating problem. I have a 22" 3 row aluminum radiator from Summit in there now that cooled the 318 I used to have just fine, but its not adequate at cooling my 440. On 80+ degree days, the motor heats up at stoplights but usually cools back down when moving as long as I dont drive it too hard. I am currently running a 7 blade flex fan and a shroud. Can anyone tell me if there is a 22" radiator that will cool my 440 with 727 in my 65 coronet, or will I have to upgrade to a 26" rad?

Are you currently running a high flow water pump? 440'

Are you currently running a high flow water pump? 440'

Yes, it has the aluminum high flow water pump and housing from 440source. Also i just installed a robershaw t-stat which did make a little difference.

I think you can cool that 440 with a 22". Sounds like a air flow issue.
I had Wizard build a 22" for my 540 Indy motor. I told them A/C was in the plan too and let them design and build.
Mike
IMG_1649.JPG

Okay, do you know what you're pump and crank pulley diameters are? You might be under driving the water pump if the pulley is larger than the crank pulley. 440'

Yes, it has the aluminum high flow water pump and housing from 440source. Also i just installed a robershaw t-stat which did make a little difference.

heard hear there is a problem on the 440 source pump housing . look around more . i think a sticky note in heating and cooling post.

I think you can cool that 440 with a 22". Sounds like a air flow issue.
I had Wizard build a 22" for my 540 Indy motor. I told them A/C was in the plan too and let them design and build.
Mike
View attachment 972633

that is awesome fan set up. what is the amp draw with 4 fans with all 4 on ?

Okay, do you know what you're pump and crank pulley diameters are? You might be under driving the water pump if the pulley is larger than the crank pulley. 440'
The crank pulley is 6 9/16" according to Bouchillon where I bought it from. The water pump pulley is the stock one that came on my 318. Kinda hard to measure it exactly, but it looks to be around 6.5".

heard hear there is a problem on the 440 source pump housing . look around more . i think a sticky note in heating and cooling post.
I did read that while I was browsing some threads, but it seems that the problems with the 440souce housings were on their older design.

E40D3ABE-F1D8-4ACB-979A-FE12B880088F.jpeg
My 440 has fairly high compression and around 500 hp.
It is cooled just fine on even the hottest of days with the factory original radiator, fan, shroud, pulleys and water pump.

View attachment 972686 My 440 has fairly high compression and around 500 hp.
It is cooled just fine on even the hottest of days with the factory original radiator, fan, shroud, pulleys and water pump.
How many rows does your factory radiator have? I have a 2 row original radiator that the seller threw in when i bought the car that I was thinking about trying.

How many rows does your factory radiator have? I have a 2 row original radiator that the seller threw in when i bought the car that I was thinking about trying.

Mine is a 2 row. Rebuilt to oem specs by Glen Ray I believe.

Recently Ive been searching through alot of threads on here about cooling issues. Cant seem to find a straight answer to my overheating problem. I have a 22" 3 row aluminum radiator from Summit in there now that cooled the 318 I used to have just fine, but its not adequate at cooling my 440. On 80+ degree days, the motor heats up at stoplights but usually cools back down when moving as long as I dont drive it too hard. I am currently running a 7 blade flex fan and a shroud. Can anyone tell me if there is a 22" radiator that will cool my 440 with 727 in my 65 coronet, or will I have to upgrade to a 26" rad?
440 is a big motor. However, you should be able to cool your 440 with a 22" radiator. The fact that the temps come down once you get moving says you don't have enough air flow. I'd like to see a pic of the shroud and fan. Your WP pulley may also be too big to spin the fan fast enough to draw the proper amount of air in. Your situation is further compromised by the 3 row aluminum radiator. For an OEM radiator, 3 row is quite efficient. Not so for a 3 row aluminum radiator. 2 big rows holds more fluid and allows air to pull through more efficiently.
So you can experiment with the above changes and you could be fine. If that doesn't work or you just want to 100% solve the problem, you could skip right to a higher volume radiator. A big 2 row 22" will give you about another 10% capacity and if you REALLY want to never worry about running hot again, you could go to a big 2 row 26" unit.

I have a 595 hp 493 stroker that is cooled with a 22 inch radiator done by Bob at Glen Ray. Factory 216 blade with a clutch and shroud.

I would ditch the flex fan and get a better one. Also maybe get the smaller water pump pulley. It'll spin your fan & waterpump faster.

I had cooling problems with my re-done 318 with the stock radiator and added a 7-blade, oem shroud, and then read up about how the mix of coolant to anti-freeze ratio and motors oils impact temperature. With the rebuild, I needed a high zinc oil and what I could get off the shelf was 20/50w. After reading about the science of engine oils, I was amazed by how often this weight isn't advised for street driving or unless doing a lot of racing. Also noticed the oil pressure was always super high. Heavier weight oils hold more heat as does a higher ratio of anti-freeze. I went to 10/30w and reduced the coolant mix to around 70/30 and added 'water-wetter'. After the other do's, I found reduced engine temp both cruising and in slow driving/stopping conditions. Anyway, your engine and mine are apples & oranges but this could be something to explore before having to do more aggressive measures assuming you run a heavy weight oil and standard coolant mix. I was about ready to get a new radiator; but these measures dropped the temp enough for me to leave that go. I only drive the car in warmer months it sits in a heated garage so lower anti-freeze isn't an issue.

Are you using vacuum advance? What’s the timing set at? How big is your cam? Any idea what centerline it’s installed at? Those seems to be big drivers of engines making heat that’s tough to get rid of.

Don't like the thin blade flex fan's. I would go back to the original fan style. This 383 I have they put that flex fan on their and it is going into the garbage. Buying the original off classic. They are not cheap but better to save the motor. See a lot of guy's are going electrical fan's but I am old school and will not be racing the car. Hope this help's you.

Are you using vacuum advance? What’s the timing set at? How big is your cam? Any idea what centerline it’s installed at? Those seems to be big drivers of engines making heat that’s tough to get rid of.
This.

Auto Transport Service
Back