• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

23 spline dana

Lowcar

Local time
6:31 PM
Reaction score
i have a stock dana that i personally removed from a wrecked 69 charger way back in 1976 i've not done anything with all these years but now it's time, i took it a part looks new inside has 3.55's with powerlock diff. but now here comes the confusion axles are 23 spline , all new repro axles and diffs are 30 or 35 spline it seem's even dr diff on his website says ALL chrysler passenger cars with dana's came equipped with 30 spline axles. i know this not to be true do i have a oddball dana 60?

Interesting.
But vans I believe have 30 spline?

The 68 model Dana I have is a 23 spline. As they all were those years in passenger cars. Don’t be fooled as they are still tuff as nails. Moser does make aftermarket 23 spline axels though if desired.

yea that seem's the after market does not support 23 spline dana's. i was wanting to narrow rearend but it seem's a shame can't use nothing but housing. dr diff is presumed to be the guru on all things mopar look on his website under dana 60's it say's all stock chrysler dana cars had 30 spline

i was wanting to narrow rearend but it seem's a shame can't use nothing but housing.

If you are narrowing a Dana use a truck axle and sell the stock one. Please!

Or just buy a new strange 60 built to your specs. Save time.

you realize back in 76 when i bought this rearend i paid 150 dollars and being retired time is the one thing that is not in short supply, i avoid new **** like the plauge

IIRC the early auto Dana's had a course spline, I forget the number, 23 sounds right. The '70 & later were 35 as I recall.

you realize back in 76 when i bought this rearend i paid 150 dollars and being retired time is the one thing that is not in short supply, i avoid new **** like the plauge
I realize that.

Do you realize that is a $2000+ axle today as it sits and someone would love to have it to make a car correct.

the Strange axle would be about 2500 depending what you want on it and made to order with zero labor on your part. It saves you time and effort, no take apart and clean everything, ordering axles, going to the shop to narrow it, buying all the pieces to freshen it up, etc,etc.

I understand about the reproduction crap parts these days. but Strange knows how to build a rear end.

2895.00 and another 500 to ship. not my first rodeo narrowed several rearends in my lifetime built a 40 ford pu prostreet back in the 80's. a thousand out of my pocket so someone can stick a dana under there B-body that never came with one. i have a shop with the equipment to do the job this dana needs nothing but narrowered axles

2895.00 and another 500 to ship. not my first rodeo narrowed several rearends in my lifetime built a 40 ford pu prostreet back in the 80's. a thousand out of my pocket so someone can stick a dana under there B-body that never came with one. i have a shop with the equipment to do the job this dana needs nothing but narrowered axles
I just ordered 1 Monday from Cass. $2885 for S-Trac(extra $320.), 35 spline axles, 1350 yoke, pinion snubber, powdercoated, and perches, plus $250 for shipping. So a total of $3135. This is about $500 more than the last one I bought a few years ago. Also, there is a 2 month wait.

Last edited:
i've been doing this for a long time and i've never seen such a crazy time where stuff is jumping in price like this. i went on line to eastwood to get a quart of everycoat tiger hair 39.99, quart of rust convertor 42.99 shipping 22.00, 5.81 tax, total 111.00 unreal

I myt have the axles
I live in Ottumwa area
Tim@52537

I’ve had a few 23 spline Dana’s, got a 68-9 one now to go under my 66. Perfect shape but would like to find a 66-67 (5/8) shorter. Back in the day we would get another short side axel to shorten the rear, last one I bought was the same size diameter as the 35 spline axel, 23 being smaller in the middle.

Auto Transport Service
Back