• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

245/60R 15 vs 255/60R 15

4404ME

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:31 AM
Reaction score
Hello Mopar Experts!
Any help with this, will be greatly appreciated! This morning, I was in the process of buying 4 Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S, for my Road Runner - 275/60R 15's for the rear, and 245/60R 15's for the front. These will be mounted on 15" Old-school Keystone Turbines. I say, in the process, because it appears that MT no longer makes the 245's. The next size up, 255/60R 15. Would these be too wide for the front? The difference in width - 9.645in for the 245 and 10.039in for the 255 (not a tremendous amount of difference in width). I like the MT's because they're the ONLY tire I found without - Raised White Letters. I want the sidewalls to be black - just personal preference. Let me know if you've encountered this, and/or what you chose to do, or if you're aware of another brand - Black Sidewalls Only - that might work for me. Thanks Much!

What year road runner?

I would go down a size for the front, not bigger. How wide are the rims?
The E.T. streets are very soft street/strip drag radial tires, and really don't belong on the front of anything (well, maybe the front of a four wheel drive drag car).

Last edited:
Width and offset of the wheels ? Need better info.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.jsp
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

Tire height and section width (not tread)
235/60R15 = 26.1x9.3R15
245/60R15 = 26.6x9.6R15
255/60R15 = 27x10R15
[/Quote
Forgive me.. my oversight.. 1972 Road Runner 440 4-spd
Width and offset of the wheels ? Need better info.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.jsp
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

Tire height and section width (not tread)
235/60R15 = 26.1x9.3R15
245/60R15 = 26.6x9.6R15
255/60R15 = 27x10R15
What year road runner?

Sorry, 1972 440/4-spd

I would go down a size for the front, not bigger. How wide are the rims?
The E.T. streets are very soft street/strip drag radial tires, and really don't belong on the front of anything (well, maybe the front of a four wheel drive drag car).

9" rims - Not a daily driver!

Forgive me.. my oversight.. 1972 Road Runner 440 4-spd

The front wheel well on a 72 is much more spacious than 70 and down. 70 and down it can be a bit of an issue with that size. With your car I think they’ll fit and not rub, it will have a little more nascar look to it. They’re big for the front of any car in that regard but if in any I think I would look okay on yours. They also tends to grab the road a little more and be a tad wander-ish in the ruts of the road…

The front wheel well on a 72 is much more spacious than 70 and down. 70 and down it can be a bit of an issue with that size. With your car I think they’ll fit and not rub, it will have a little more nascar look to it. They’re big for the front of any car in that regard but if in any I think I would look okay on yours. They also tends to grab the road a little more and be a tad wander-ish in the ruts of the road…
Thanks for taking the time to reply.. I took pictures today and, you’re right! Now, the space in the rear is tighter, with the existing 275’s of course, but they fit the wheel wells nicely without any danger of ever rubbing - the front well is significantly more spacious and is now handling a 245, so an extra half inch in width shouldn’t be a problem. Your answer was helpful, and I appreciate it (and I don’t mind a little NASCAR look)! Thanks!

I agree on the Nascar look. This is the front of the '73 Charger I'm building with a 255/60x15 on a 15x8 3.75" backspace. Having a set 15x10 rear wheels being built to fill out the rear.

KIMG1752.JPG

Remember that the tires will wear quicker. Negative offset front wheels put the weight/load over the outer bearing instead of the inner bearing which is much larger and intended to carry the vehicles load.
The tires have more "scrub" when turning.
NASCAR tires get changed multiple time in just one race. Just a few hundred miles.
Just so you know that every change from stock has a consequence.

I agree on the Nascar look. This is the front of the '73 Charger I'm building with a 255/60x15 on a 15x8 3.75" backspace. Having a set 15x10 rear wheels being built to fill out the rear.

View attachment 1171799 to

View attachment 1171799
Thanks Outlaw! I like how that looks, and I believe I’ll like it on my car, as well! BTW - What brand tire is that! Thanks!

Remember that the tires will wear quicker. Negative offset front wheels put the weight/load over the outer bearing instead of the inner bearing which is much larger and intended to carry the vehicles load.
The tires have more "scrub" when turning.
NASCAR tires get changed multiple time in just one race. Just a few hundred miles.
Just so you know that every change from stock has a consequence.
I appreciate your input.. the wheels and tires aren’t going to be on the vehicle for a long time, and it’s not even close to being a daily driver. Thanks!

You are aware that most RWL tires are RWL on one side and blackwall on the other?

View attachment 1171799
Thanks for your reply, and the picture! What brand are you running there, and where’d you find them?

Looks like Cooper Cobra tires. They also Make the Mickey Thompson tire Same tread. If you like lettering the Mickey Thompson was a period correct tire back in the early seventies. No Cobra's back then...

Auto Transport Service
Back