• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

273 swap

Hamid

The queen of the 60's Mopar
Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
Dear all:
I have a 66 Plymouth Belvedere, 4 Dr sedan with 273 original. Is the 318 a good swap, what is the pros and cons.
I see the 273 is less fuel consumption. I appreciate all your comments.

I don't think a 318 will cost you any loss of MPG, in fact I think you will gain. The 318 will pull that sedan easier than the 273 can. Go for it!
Mike

Piston availability for the 273 is scarce, unless expensive custom pistons are made. Go with the 318 as it is a drop-in upgrade, and parts are still available for it.

Thank you for all your advises.
That is encouraging the 318 don't drink a lot of gas beside the extra HP over the 273.

much easier to find parts for 360 magnums these days
and it takes the same amount of hp to push a car down the street

If you've going to the trouble of doing a swap I'd go for a few more cubes, 340 if you could find one or a 360. Or if you had a few more dollars maybe a 383.

I agree magnum. I'm swapping a 318 to a magnum right now. Slight mods to the motor mounts and kick down linkage. Balance weight for the converter. We're using the old style timing cover, water pump, fuel pump and valve covers. This required slight mod for the fuel pump and water pump bypass hose. All pretty easy.
Doug

Dear all:
I have a 66 Plymouth Belvedere, 4 Dr sedan with 273 original. Is the 318 a good swap, what is the pros and cons.
I see the 273 is less fuel consumption. I appreciate all your comments.
The 318 WILL cost you mileage. A minor penalty. But it is a direct bolt in.
Others mention the 5.2 Magnum. (AKA - a 318 CID)
I have found more power from the Magnum engines in stock form vs the LA counterparts but also less mileage. I don’t know why. I just can not seem to get the equal amount of mpg’s between the two. Same applies for the 360 vs 5.9.

Are you actually in Saudi Arabia?

If and when I do a small engine again, (mileage concerns only) it WILL be a LA and not a Magnum.

Getting the best mileage from your engine is simple if you keep in mind that the easier it is to breath in and out is the first step along with a very well tuned carburetor and ignition system. For low rpm driving and mileage concerns, ignition wise I recommend a MSD system as the multi spark helps insure all the fuel is burned providing the best return in power from the air and fuel charge, wasting no fuel. Don’t be afraid to open the spark plugs gaps wide.
(.050 or better. Your engine will tell you what it likes.)

The Magnums have freer flowing heads than the 91 and earlier engines. Plus with the EFI you have better control of fuel and spark. Plus the Magnums have 3" exhaust. Then the cams are different plus the throttle body is huge compared to the little Carter.
By comparison the 318s in my 72 and 73 Chargers were rated at 150 hp net. My 92 318 is rated at 230 net.

Oh geeez;

Slap stick! My man.....

Plus the Magnums have 3" exhaust.
Off the exhaust manifolds, the BEST was 2-1/4 IIRC, possibly slightly larger. All exhaust & tail pipes I have crossed after the “Y” pipe merges is 2-1/2 inch.

On a older 318, thee Bauer system can be copied quite closely if desired but headers into a dual exhaust @ 2-1/4 would be excellent.
Then the cams are different plus the throttle body is huge compared to the little Carter.
And a larger opening will gulp more air requiring more fuel. AKA Worse fuel mileage. The roller cam is fatter (larger under the curve) and will use more fuel due to that fact.
By comparison the 318s in my 72 and 73 Chargers were rated at 150 hp net. My 92 318 is rated at 230 net.
Earlier 318’s are also rated at 230 hp.
If the OE poster needed a rebuild, I’d suggest a high ratio for more bang for and from the buck. Compression is power. Octane limited though. A big bummer for the 91 max guys, but yet, not the end of the world. Not by a long shot.

Don’t kid yourself or anyone else. They make the same HP.

Missing from the diced quite is the mention of free-er flowing heads. This lends itself to more power as well as more fuel consumption at anything other than cruise. Which is t exactly true but to small to split hairs on because of the second missing item not quoted....

The F.I. System is Calibrated for the vehicle it came in and will require a recalibration in order to do everything better than a older carbed engine.
Once dialed in, the fuel and ignition should be optimized and perform with superior excellence.

Id go there!

Incorrect. The early 318s were rated at 230 GROSS.
I wonder why my Dakota has 3" back to the cat?
And I did mention freer flowing heads. The 91 318s were rated at 175 Iirc.
I just put a Dynomax muffler tailpipe on it. 2-3/4". It needed a reducer to fit.

My 92 Dakota first year magnum has the larger head pipes/ exhaust manifolds and 3" cat and Muffler I replaced the muffler with a 3" in and out Maremont Super Turbo motorhome muffler about 30 inch case- 36 in overall length
early 5.2's also have a bigger cam than the 5.9 or later 5.2's
And the SBC Single Board Computer sucks big time
at least it does not control the trans

Well thanks for all the info about the 318 and Magnum.
I looked up the VIN just to make sure the car is originally equipped with the 273. I don't know how I did miss that even I am always trying to restore my Belvedere to the stock configurations.
The car is not originally equipped with 273, it is 318. The code D appears in the VIN plate which is for the 318 engine. I visually checked the casting # on the block, it is P 273.
So I think it is easier to through in a used or rebuilt 318.

Well thanks for all the info about the 318 and Magnum.
I looked up the VIN just to make sure the car is originally equipped with the 273. I don't know how I did miss that even I am always trying to restore my Belvedere to the stock configurations.
The car is not originally equipped with 273, it is 318. The code D appears in the VIN plate which is for the 318 engine. I visually checked the casting # on the block, it is P 273.
So I think it is easier to through in a used or rebuilt 318.
1n 66 the 5th digit in the VIN is the engine. 273 is "D". 318 is "E" and not a LA 318 but a poly. 318 LA's didn't come out until 1967. There should be a block casting #.

Auto Transport Service
Back