• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

295 vs 275 Tires

Brendanchambers

Local time
7:35 PM
Reaction score
Hello All
I've just purchased a RoadRunner See below garage link, and i'm wanting to change the wheels and tires for a better stance.
i just cant make up my mind on 295/50r15 on 10in wheels or 275/60r15 on 8in wheels for the back....

can anyone please persuade me one way or the other?

Fat vs tall...that is the question.
obviously fat looks good, however tall will fill the fenders and lift the back up a bit which i like.

Arghh....once i have this sorted, i then need to pick my wheels. which are either Mag 500's or Black steelies which i think i think i've already made up my mind on...

Garage link below:
https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showcase/brendans-roadrunner.5444/

Cmon, please persuade me :) :)

You're talking about almost 1 1/2" in height difference there (26.6" vs. 28").
I like the way the 275/60 fills the wheelwells on my '68 GTX, for what that's worth.
Oh and Magnum 500's all damn day. Plain wheels do nothing for me....

Actually it will change the height 1/2 of that. The axle is in the middle. Only about 3/4" difference in section width. 20mm.

I like the way the 275/60 fills the wheelwells on my '68 GTX, for what that's worth.

do you have any pics of your 68 GTX?

this is the steel wheel look option i'm thinking....Mag 500s do look good too....just another decision to make....

1970-Plymouth-Roadrunner-muscle-and-pony-cars--Car-101264541-c3e88a868a4dd140e92614e94a712a95.jpg

the wheels i can make my own decision i guess as its a preference thing however its just the tires that i just cant decide on alone..

I know it's a Charger but they are 275 /60 /15s on a 8 inch wide rim in the rear and I feel they are a good sized tire. I wouldn't change em
4F43CFA7-0BF4-4BAD-AAFA-41EDC84D861E_1_201_a.jpeg

Nice car. Go wide, get traction and better acceleration with a shorter, wider tire.
Whoever did this would piss me off:
Keys on the paint!?:mad:
IMG_20200811_091434.jpg

Nice car. Go wide, get traction and better acceleration with a shorter, wider tire.
Whoever did this would piss me off:
Keys on the paint!?:mad:
View attachment 999594

I KNOWWWW!!!!......shipping company....Arghh....and nothing like taking a photo of it too just for evidence.....‍♂️.....dumbass

i havent complained about it....just going to give them the benefit of the doubt that it didnt scratch...however i will be complaining if it did and i can prove it was them!!

Nice, thanks.
i'm beginning to think taller is better than wider...

what width steel rims are those? 8 or 9?
Two things would influence my decision - if concerned about Straight line track performance Actually the taller 275/60/15 has more contact patch than the shorter smaller diameter 295 due to the curvature difference. That’s why a lot of guys running street tires go with 275/60. Also the taller tire will lower your rpm so if you have rear gears of 3.55 or more you may enjoy the 275’s more to keep rpms down at speed. However I love the way 295/50/15’s look and if you match them up with a 245/60/15 or 235/60/15 up front you have a much more balanced stance that’s better for turns and corners. I wish there was an easy way to have both and quickly swap.

Two things would influence my decision - if concerned about Straight line track performance Actually the taller 275/60/15 has more contact patch than the shorter smaller diameter 295 due to the curvature difference. That’s why a lot of guys running street tires go with 275/60. Also the taller tire will lower your rpm so if you have rear gears of 3.55 or more you may enjoy the 275’s more to keep rpms down at speed. However I love the way 295/50/15’s look and if you match them up with a 245/60/15 or 235/60/15 up front you have a much more balanced stance that’s better for turns and corners. I wish there was an easy way to have both and quickly swap.

Thanks, to be honest, this is going to be a street cruiser, not going to take it to the strip...unless just for fun...
i'm more concerned about looks/stance as i don't believe the 295 or 275 is going to make much difference on a Sunny Sunday cruise....

This is a 383 4spd, correct me if i'm wrong but i think this comes with the 3.23 gears....which i think is good for the highway anyhow...

thanks for your input :)

I have always prefered tall tires that fill the wheelwells, over short fat tires. Plus, i think the fatter tire on the wider wheel will be much harder to get in a roadrunner wheelwell. The eight inch wheel has a certain amount of allowance for backspace, the tens would have to be perfect to fit.

Actually it will change the height 1/2 of that. The axle is in the middle. Only about 3/4" difference in section width. 20mm.
I didn't mention ride height, only overall tire height and wheel well filling.

do you have any pics of your 68 GTX?
There's about a bazillion of 'em here on FBBO. :)
(Search box is upper right on the site) (I have some photo garages on FBBO)
cruise in august 2017 4.jpg

Oh....and leaf spring extenders are just plain tacky. :)

Last edited:
I agree with Ed(what el
20180302_162032.jpg
se is new). I too have 275 60 15 on the rear and 255 60 15 on the front, both on 8 inch rims(American Racing Magnums). Plenty of the beefy look.

I have always had the same dilemma as you. Prefer the height of 275's, but the rear end view of 295's are wicked. Last 2 cars I have put 275's on a 10 inch rim. I like the compromise.

I have always had the same dilemma as you. Prefer the height of 275's, but the rear end view of 295's are wicked. Last 2 cars I have put 275's on a 10 inch rim. I like the compromise.
On a 10"? Well now, I gotta go look at this! :)
EDIT: I kinda like it, but I'd have to put all the extra offset somewhere on mine...and it sure wouldn't go to the outside, since I'm pretty close to the lip now.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back