• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2k stall converter question

Sonny

It’s all fun til the rabbit gets the gun.
Local time
5:39 PM
Reaction score
On another thread, I’ve been chasing a rich big at wot thinking it was fuel related. But after installing a 650 eddy, 750 Holley, and now a 800 eddy (Tuned each) it can’t be fuel. So forget what I just typed.

the guy that rebuilt my 727 installed a used (rebuilt) torque converter with approx 2000 rpm stall. I’m hearing a knock when starting, if the car sits for a week it won’t move in gear-takes about 5 seconds to start moving, and this “bog” is starting to feel like a hard shake at before and after 2000 rpm wot. Are these symptoms of a bad converter? Could it be “stalling” when I drop it in second and nail it? Fluid is also leaking from the flywheel cover area.
512FD99F-3DA5-4850-9378-A111C8B24A54.jpeg
C44BD997-24E5-4848-B69D-41EE028152B5.jpeg

Converter drain back, try starting in neutral instead of park.

Yup, there is no fluid pumped into the convertor when the gear selector is in park... Fire the car up then move the shifter to neutral, let the engine warm up slightly then drop it in gear, your delayed engagement will be gone...

Yup, there is no fluid pumped into the convertor when the gear selector is in park... Fire the car up then move the shifter to neutral, let the engine warm up slightly then drop it in gear, your delayed engagement will be gone...

What about the other symptoms?

must be a cast crank motor, I see a weight on the converter
I assume your running a big block? The converter weight appears to be a 360 weighted converter and I believe most big blocks had two smaller square weights welded on. Could be "Whole lotta shakin going on".

400 and 440 cast crank engines have a similar weight about 12 ounces I believe. 360s weight is around 19 ounces. That weight isn’t thick enough to be a 360 weight. I think it was 76 or 77 that Chrysler went to the single weight. Kim

Last edited:
I assume your running a big block? The converter weight appears to be a 360 weighted converter and I believe most big blocks had two smaller square weights welded on. Could be "Whole lotta shakin going on".
Yes. 1978 440 RV motor.

400 and 440 cast crank engines hace a similar weight about 12 ounces I believe. 360s weight is around 19 ounces. I think it was 76 or 77 that Chrysler went to the single weight. Kim
The engine, trans, and TC are from different places. Not original to the car.

5424HS comes back as 400-440 cast crank, it's the right convertor..

Auto Transport Service
Back