• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.23 or 3.55, this is the question

Doorkicker

Local time
11:41 AM
Reaction score
I have a 66 charger with an 8-3/4 rear running 2.94 gears, open. A relatively decent 440 engine and your run-of-the-mill 727.

The gears are just a little too tall for me. I don't drive it on the highway but I must admit it cruise is pretty nice around 65 - 70. However, I have no interest in going that fast frankly. I just want to do burnouts and pin people's head back.

So I'm looking at dropping in a new set of gears with Cass's sure track. The question is do I run a 323 or a 355?

I had a 411 in an old firebird and that was way way too low. I was running 3,500 RPMs at 50 mph. So I'm not looking to do that again. But I'm sensing happiness is going to be one of those two gears.

With all that being said I still want to go get groceries and go hang out and ride around. But it also want to let the smoke out of my tires.

What say you?

3.55 all they way for what you have described.

…I have no interest in going that fast frankly. I just want to do burnouts and pin people's head back...
I would be in the 3.73-3.91 range personally. 3.23, no way. 3.55 we’re getting there but not quite.

I say you can’t have your cake and eat it too.

You want burnouts and to rev low at 50 mph. Can’t happen. But 3.73‘s With 27 or 28 inch tall tire might be your best compromise to do it all.. maybe even 3.91’s Like 69l48z27 says.

3.91 ratio Withs 27 inch tall at 60 mph is 3000 rpm.

Either is a pretty good compromise gear. But for what you say you want, 3.55 is the better choice. A bigger percentage of change.

I have 3.23 in mine. I would think with a 440 they would be great.

Ok. I'm dying to ask. The gearset for 3 Dana cars including present GTX are/were stamped 3.54. My 4 cars with 8 3/4" were not 3.55.

Is 3.54 for Dana and 3.55 for 8 3/4?

Just one of those things I've never asked over the years. Lol.

Based on your "wants", absolutely the 3.55.

Ok. I'm dying to ask. The gearset for 3 Dana cars including present GTX are/were stamped 3.54. My 4 cars with 8 3/4" were not 3.55.

That is correct.

The choice also has a lot to do with your rear tire height. I run 3.23's in 2 of my cars and 3.55's in the other. All behind stroker motors.

The 3.54 vs 3.55 is similar to the mostly Chevy question. 4.10 vs 4:11. I've not owned enough GMs to ever look into.

The choice also has a lot to do with your rear tire height.
It only took 14 post to ask the right question.

so how tall are the rear tires?

2.9 to 3.2 is a big change. If this 440 runs good the tires will spin just fine with 3.23’s, and you can still go someplace on the freeway.

That is correct.
Edit: Dang, Hunt and Bean BOTH tree'd me!

Auto Transport Service
Back