• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3.5 minus 2.0 = 1.5

Dibbons

Local time
1:12 AM
Reaction score
The '96 Dodge Dakota 3.9L owner's manual lists oil capacity at 3.5 quarts, always thought that was a little sparse (but maybe necessitated when they cut off the front two cylinders of the 318 V-8 to make this V-6 version).

Anyway, with 290,000 plus miles on the odometer, it is not unusual to add a quart between the 3,000 mile oil/filter change schedule I follow. So I was alarmed when checking the oil the other day when there was no oil showing on the dipstick! Referring to the last oil change mileage record, I found it was a few hundred miles overdue, so I changed the oil and filter right away (20W-50 Castrol).

The amount of oil that I drained out from the oil pan amounted to about 1 1/2 quarts. It was black and rather thick, but I did not notice any metallic sheen (it was drained without warming the engine). The instrument panel includes both an idiot light and a gauge that monitor oil pressure. I have never noticed any signs of a lower than normal oil pressure by way of the gauge or idiot light. I don't really "hot rod" the old truck (has a 5-speed manual transmission).

I just hope I can make it to the 300,000 mile club before we need a re-build (I found recently the club has been discontinued).

1996 Dakota Value.png

three vehicles.jpg

It should be 4.5 with filter although the medium length filter that ist calls for is not a full quart like the Wix 51515 is . I don't think I can get one of those in and out of there.

Auto Transport Service
Back