• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 days to change ONE manifold gasket ARRRRRGGGHHHH!

Longknife

Local time
6:48 AM
Reaction score
Started up the Rr a few weeks ago to go to my first cruise this year. Hear a tic-tic-tic coming from the rt side manifold,,, ARGGGGHHH I tightened the nuts but the tic was still there, no problem cruise is 3 days away Ill just pull manifold an replace gasket in no time!!!! WRONG.... did a search on line and found Fel pro MS 90029 at a O R store , not near to me, the one across town!!!! I pulled the manifold and decided to go in the morning!. Went the next AM to store and picked up gasket kit. Returned, cleaned surfaces and bolted on manifold,,, Great will have her going in no time. Went to put flange gasket on and....WTF???? Its TOO SMALL!!! looks like it is for a 2 1/4 pipe flange!!!! I ran up to the closest OR and told them the prob. The "assistant" manager looked up the # and SHE said. I will have to order that gasket special and I would have to pay shipping!!!! It will take 3 days!!! I said WHAT , your application says this fits a 69 RR 383 engine, I shouldn't have to pay anything!!!! She just looked at me with a blank stare! I disnt want to wait 3 days so I left there and went to AZ, they didn't have the flange gasket either, but the town 12 miles away had it!. I said call them and make sure its for 2 1/2 exhaust. Nope,,,it 2 1/4. There are no measurements given in any book! Went down the road to a Napa, Sure the store 22 miles down the road has 12 of them!!!! have them measure it,,,,GREAT ITS 2 1/2!!!!Well get me one Ill pick it up in the AM. Next AM I picked up gasket. Took it home and installed it!,,, Success!!!! ONLY 3 days to install a manifold gasket!!!! I went for a test drive and thought OR owes me two gaskets,,, I drove across town to OR where I purchased the gasket kit and explained the prob, The Guy looked up the number and said I will have you 2 gaskets here IN THE MORNING!!!! Then WHY couldn't the "assistant" get them with out a special order and 3 days wait??????? Anyway a simple job,,,, NOT!!!! If you get a Fel Pro MS 90029, it not gonna fit you 383 or 440!,,,,Ed....PS had a good time at the cruise!

When I need something that I don't have on the shelf, I buy a extra or so for next time. It may never happen again, but is cheap insurance.

Sounds like one of my weeks. :D

Now you know why people keep a full set of gaskets in the shop at all times. As soon as I use something, I reorder another to re-stock. Same for sure grip diff lube, cam lube, filters, and other things. It saves a lot of aggravation!

We have a real good manager at the local O'Reilly's here. He takes the time look things up, show us pictures, give the specifications, and look it up in the paper books if everything else fails. It is not about the store, but the quality of the employees. Sure there are employees there that don't know their a$$ from a hole in the ground on old Mopars, but are better than average on GM and new cars (less than 10 years old). One key to getting what you want is to know what you need. No disrespect to the OP, as I did the exact same thing for the same problem a good while back.

Took original style gasket to parts store years ago to match them up, not just look them up. Bought everyone they had.

This engine has less than 1000 miles on build, that's why I didn't break any studs!!! The Fel Pro MS 90029 gasket set fit the heads/ manifold, matter of fact that's the gasket I removed. The flange gaskets were wrong in the kit though. I purchased a FPG 60025 from NAPA that fit and got two replacements from O Reilys # NIC 31311 That measure 2 1/2. …..Ed

Sounds like a lot of fun.

I had issues trying to get simple parts for my Road Runner a few weeks ago. None of the chain auto stores had the parts in stock. Then it dawned on me my car is 50 years old what should I expect.

Where abouts in Illinois are you?

Sounds like a lot of fun.

I had issues trying to get simple parts for my Road Runner a few weeks ago. None of the chain auto stores had the parts in stock. Then it dawned on me my car is 50 years old what should I expect.

Where abouts in Illinois are you?
I'm near Alton

Started up the Rr a few weeks ago to go to my first cruise this year. Hear a tic-tic-tic coming from the rt side manifold,,, ARGGGGHHH I tightened the nuts but the tic was still there, no problem cruise is 3 days away Ill just pull manifold an replace gasket in no time!!!! WRONG.... did a search on line and found Fel pro MS 90029 at a O R store , not near to me, the one across town!!!! I pulled the manifold and decided to go in the morning!. Went the next AM to store and picked up gasket kit. Returned, cleaned surfaces and bolted on manifold,,, Great will have her going in no time. Went to put flange gasket on and....WTF???? Its TOO SMALL!!! looks like it is for a 2 1/4 pipe flange!!!! I ran up to the closest OR and told them the prob. The "assistant" manager looked up the # and SHE said. I will have to order that gasket special and I would have to pay shipping!!!! It will take 3 days!!! I said WHAT , your application says this fits a 69 RR 383 engine, I shouldn't have to pay anything!!!! She just looked at me with a blank stare! I disnt want to wait 3 days so I left there and went to AZ, they didn't have the flange gasket either, but the town 12 miles away had it!. I said call them and make sure its for 2 1/2 exhaust. Nope,,,it 2 1/4. There are no measurements given in any book! Went down the road to a Napa, Sure the store 22 miles down the road has 12 of them!!!! have them measure it,,,,GREAT ITS 2 1/2!!!!Well get me one Ill pick it up in the AM. Next AM I picked up gasket. Took it home and installed it!,,, Success!!!! ONLY 3 days to install a manifold gasket!!!! I went for a test drive and thought OR owes me two gaskets,,, I drove across town to OR where I purchased the gasket kit and explained the prob, The Guy looked up the number and said I will have you 2 gaskets here IN THE MORNING!!!! Then WHY couldn't the "assistant" get them with out a special order and 3 days wait??????? Anyway a simple job,,,, NOT!!!! If you get a Fel Pro MS 90029, it not gonna fit you 383 or 440!,,,,Ed....PS had a good time at the cruise!
i had no luck with fel pro gaskets i use vector reins only

I’m sure glad I saw this thread. I had that set in my cart, about to pull the trigger. Thanks

The tic tic tic might be your tappets need adjustment and have nothing to do with exhaust manifold.

The tic tic tic might be your tappets need adjustment and have nothing to do with exhaust manifold.
Nope, The gasket fixed it, no noise now! BB tappets are not adjustable anyway! (unless its been modified)

I went through the exhaust manifold gasket leaks every few months, 1000 miles decades ago...got old really fast! I tried every type of gasket I could find and although some did work well they always started leaking, most within 18 months. Then I switched to high temp RTV on either side of the gaskets...didn't help much the darn gaskets kept blowing out just like before. Then I decided why not just do metal to metal with a slathering of RTV....been doing it this way since and have not had any leaks.

To be honest my wagon just started a leak on the RH HP manifold but this is after 10 years and 10K plus miles, and not easy miles...I used the old Chrysler T/C wagon for family vacations for most of that decade....loaded up with the the family and all the gear driving through Rocky mountains of BC. ;)

I went through the exhaust manifold gasket leaks every few months, 1000 miles decades ago...got old really fast! I tried every type of gasket I could find and although some did work well they always started leaking, most within 18 months. Then I switched to high temp RTV on either side of the gaskets...didn't help much the darn gaskets kept blowing out just like before. Then I decided why not just do metal to metal with a slathering of RTV....been doing it this way since and have not had any leaks.

To be honest my wagon just started a leak on the RH HP manifold but this is after 10 years and 10K plus miles, and not easy miles...I used the old Chrysler T/C wagon for family vacations for most of that decade....loaded up with the the family and all the gear driving through Rocky mountains of BC. ;)
Thanks for that info. I was thinking of RTV too but chickened out! The gasket blew at the two center ports and it looks a little rough there. If it blows again I will try the RTV. ...Ed

Auto Transport Service
Back