• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3 SPEED WIPER HELP

XMAN JR

Local time
12:54 AM
Reaction score
Om my 67 gtx that I got from my dad it has 3 speed wipers. They never worked right ever since we got the car done. Ive bought & tried several wiper switches & they still don't work right. They have only one speed & the wipers stop at where you turn off the switch. So made a ground wire & grounded the switch. Now the wipers work like they should for the most part. Now the wipers will not turn off & stop at the lower position like they should. Is it the motor ? Does anyone have pictures of the difference between the 2 & 3 speed wiper motors for 67 ? Ive seen 2 different types of canaster type motors. One is gold in color & the other is black. I know what a 2 speed motor looks like from 1968 & up. OK HERE IS WHAT I FOUND- THE MOTOR ON THE CAR MIGHT BE THE WRONG YEAR. Inwich it will not work right. Does this sound right ?

Last edited:
you may have the wrong rotating arm on the motor, connecting to the transverse arms

Take the motor off and bench test it. Then at least you'll know if the problem is the motor. One VERY important thing is the motor ground strap. If its missing or not making a good ground then nothing works right. Even on a bench test it will need two grounds - one is in the harness and the other is the strap.

this is what was on the car when my dad bought it back. "he bought it new" It looks like the newer style I just bought a rebuilt one on ebay. The motor "canister" looking thing is half silver & half black. The guy says its a variable speed for a 67 belvedere

dads 67 gtx & neon sign 018.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know enough about '67's. Maybe late production cars got the new style motor. Either way, I'd start with a bench test

Auto Transport Service
Back