• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3-speed Wipers Work But Won't "Park"???

PurpleBeeper

Local time
2:56 PM
Reaction score
So, my car has been WAY apart for several years and I'm putting it back together (1970 Plymouth Road Runner). My 3-speed wipers appear to be working BUT they don't return to the "park" position when I turn them off. I drove the car for years and the wipers worked (& "parked") just fine, so maybe I knocked a wire loose or ???

I seem to "vaguely" remember that this is a common problem & it was some type of simple fix like a particular wire at the bulkhead disconnect or the wiper switch/washer switch connection..???....something?

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED!

I believe you need to take the cover off the gearbox and inspect the cam and contacts in there.
Most likely where the problem lies.

It's called the "park switch" sometimes. Really.

The motor park switch is on the inside of the wiper motor front, round plate. The cover is clocked, so mark it before you remove the cover. There should be some guide tabs to help. The "switch" is a metal piece with contacts that enables the circuit to park the motor. It is likely broken or needs adjustment. Check the dash wiper switch/connections before you take the motor apart. The service manual has a troubleshooting section for this.

Either your wiper motor is not grounded properly (brass strip under one of the mounting nuts) or the dash switch is not grounded.
Been there, dun that.

Check the ground ,My brass strip was lose and it did not look it, Checked and cured the problem !!

Auto Transport Service
Back