• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$300 440 a pleasant surprise

1968rt

Local time
1:22 AM
Reaction score
Picked up a 72 440 lightly rusted for $300 hoping to salvage some parts. When I opened it up here's what I found. A balanced assembly with degreed balancer and 4 speed crank, max wedge rods with TRW forged pistons. An old school Lunati cam with roller chain. A Miladon 8 quart pan. The icing on the cake was it had an aluminum water pump!! A990 1965 race hemi pump!!
IMG_E4948.JPG
IMG_E4950.JPG
pump.jpg

Wow, you really stepped in it with that motor. Glad to see it was a nice surprise!
:thumbsup:

Awesome!!! It's good to see a positive surprise usually you get "the motor was just built with all the best gear" and open it up to find a dud.

That is awesome. The aluminum water pump housing should have two seven digit casting numbers in it. One for the aluminum version, and one for the cast iron unit it was copied from, even tho its factory.

Oh, and I'll give ya three fitty :poke:

That's like a sore dick, you can't beat it!

Water pump housing is about worth what you paid for the engine

That is awesome. The aluminum water pump housing should have two seven digit casting numbers in it. One for the aluminum version, and one for the cast iron unit it was copied from, even tho its factory.

Oh, and I'll give ya three fitty :poke:

Here's the other number. PM me if interested.

pump2.jpg

The OEM '65 Hemi aluminum WP housings have a casting number and a part number on them. Also may have a date, maybe not.

If I'm reading Khryslerkid correctly, looks like you have a REAL one, not one of the OTC Direct Connection ones sold for years afterwards?? I'd be hanging on to that piece, for sure. I have to go out back and look at sumpin, lol.

Auto Transport Service
Back