• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Crankshaft Stamp ID Help?

videoword

Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
Can anyone help me ID the stamp # on this crankshaft?

1968 318 Satellite - it's totally shot and I need to replace, but am having a hard time verifying what cranks will fit!

cLJFwWF

MrgUhKq.jpg

I'm looking at this one: http://store.enginepartscenter.com/mobile/chrysler-318-52l-13570-p1017.aspx but can't verify fit

Chrysler small block stock crankshafts all have a 3.31 stroke. Main and rod journals are the same size also. Differences will be the amount of inertia/stiffness, forged steel or nodular cast iron between 273, 318, 340.

Show a pic of the rod pin end of the crank. I need to see if the parting line is wide or narrow. Wide is steel, and narrow is cast. A steel crank will be the same as a 340 crank (same main and rod size), but the cast will depend on a few things. The shape of the crank throw you show looks like it will be steel. Casting number won't matter is it is steel, 318/340 steel internally balanced crank will be what your looking for.

Why don't you just have your crank ground, and use new properly sized bearings?

Show a pic of the rod pin end of the crank. I need to see if the parting line is wide or narrow. Wide is steel, and narrow is cast. A steel crank will be the same as a 340 crank (same main and rod size), but the cast will depend on a few things. The shape of the crank throw you show looks like it will be steel. Casting number won't matter is it is steel, 318/340 steel internally balanced crank will be what your looking for.

Why don't you just have your crank ground, and use new properly sized bearings?

I had it ground last summer, but they took too much off and it wasn't true. So ended up making some nasty noises. Basically they botched the whole job and now the crank is destroyed, pitted, lopsided. So I gotta get a new one.

It's definitely steel. Maybe it isn't even the original crank (engine was rebuilt once already when I was less knowledgable and more hands off).

This looks to be the most promising find I've hit so far: http://store.enginepartscenter.com/mobile/chrysler-318-52l-13570-p1017.aspx

I'll just have to call and see if they can confirm fitment. But wanted to check here first in case there was anything I was missing.

Call a local machine shop, and ask for a crank kit for a '68 318/340 Steel, internal balance. If they can maybe cross an EPWi number, PN#93570

Call a local machine shop, and ask for a crank kit for a '68 318/340 Steel, internal balance. If they can maybe cross an EPWi number, PN#93570

I've got some crank shop folks on it here in Los Angeles. But no luck yet.

Can anyone help me ID the stamp # on this crankshaft?

1968 318 Satellite - it's totally shot and I need to replace, but am having a hard time verifying what cranks will fit!

cLJFwWF

View attachment 987815

I'm looking at this one: http://store.enginepartscenter.com/mobile/chrysler-318-52l-13570-p1017.aspx but can't verify fit
Totally shot? What's wrong with it? They can be turned and polished you know. Not all but pretty much any 318 crank can replace that. Can't read the number

Totally shot? what's wrong with it? They can be turned and polished you know.

It was turned and polished last summer. But the turning wasn't true and they took off too much material. So the journals have ended up lopsided and even more deeply gouged after only a year of use. Furthermore the sides of the journals are worn down. It's just a useless piece of metal at this point.

It was turned and polished last summer. But the turning wasn't true and they took off too much material. So the journals have ended up lopsided and even more deeply gouged after only a year of use. Furthermore the sides of the journals are worn down. It's just a useless piece of metal at this point.
Ouch!

Luckily the mechanic who rebuilt is getting a refund for the crank 'grind', which should cover the cost of the new one. And is doing the swap for free, so it’s not the worst case scenario. Just got to put some leg work into finding this part.

I’ll end up paying him something for his labor, work is work as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
My guys have 2 here in Phoenix. They go for $308.73 (crank and bearings) plus shipping. Core is $90, but if you think yours is junk, we don't have to send it back, just pay the core. You can also get your LA guys to call EPWi if thy have an account (will not sell retail), and the number is 800-634-0969 for Anaheim, and 800-234-1410 for Oakland whichever is closer. Again, the part number is PN#93570

Your crank can also be welded and reground to standard to repair it.

My guys have 2 here in Phoenix. They go for $308.73 (crank and bearings) plus shipping. Core is $90, but if you think yours is junk, we don't have to send it back, just pay the core. You can also get your LA guys to call EPWi if thy have an account (will not sell retail), and the number is 800-634-0969 for Anaheim, and 800-234-1410 for Oakland whichever is closer. Again, the part number is PN#93570

Thanks for all this info! If the folks out here don't come through I'll see about one shipped from Phoenix.

Hey 69Bee, how can I reach your guys in Phoenix? I want to have my mechanic call them and see about getting one shipped over for the swap. Seems impossible to find here in LA.

Hey 69Bee, how can I reach your guys in Phoenix? I want to have my mechanic call them and see about getting one shipped over for the swap. Seems impossible to find here in LA.

Call your local machine shops and ask if they can get parts from Engine Performance Warehouse, Inc. (EPWi), then order PN#93570. Even if you need to call the Oakland or Anaheim locations at the numbers I listed above for local shops that can buy from them. Worst case, you can get an Eagle crank from Summit Racing. From me, shipping to you, is going to be about $650, and you can get a cast Eagle crank from Summit for half of that. Your best bet is to locate a local shop that does business with EPWi...

Call your local machine shops and ask if they can get parts from Engine Performance Warehouse, Inc. (EPWi), then order PN#93570. Even if you need to call the Oakland or Anaheim locations at the numbers I listed above for local shops that can buy from them. Worst case, you can get an Eagle crank from Summit Racing. From me, shipping to you, is going to be about $650, and you can get a cast Eagle crank from Summit for half of that. Your best bet is to locate a local shop that does business with EPWi...

Ah, gotcha - I must have misread your previous post. Alright, I’ll call some people about EPWi

Still struggling to find this part. Forged cranks are apparently very rare finds. One crank shop even said when they send out forged cranks to be reconditioned they receive cast cranks back.

Which brings me to my next thought: can I just put a cast crank in my engine? I've read in blogs here and there that the only difference is just that forged cranks are a little more bulletproof, but that the difference is minimal. Are they actually 1:1 compatible?

I have one here in Pa from a 70 318 that has been maged OK but shipping would be a lot

Forged? And what is maged?
Magnaglowed, checked for cracks. 273's had forged cranks as well. Unless you swap cranks with exactly what you have. If not there could be a difference in the balance and the torque converter register in the back.

Auto Transport Service
Back