• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Intake and Carb Advice

As for the air cleaner, should we be looking for the orange 340 dual snorkel air cleaner or the earlier wrinkle black 340 air cleaner that was open all around at the bottom with no snorkels?

An air cleaner of the factory style is really down to two choices IMO for BEST performance. The closed single snorkel or dual snorkel. The snorkels should have tubes going to any fresh air spot. This is normally behind the headlights. Anywhere you can pick up fresh cool air.

If you don’t run tubes for fresh cool air, it doesn’t matter what you run. Read on.

If your engine has a lot of power, then go through the hood. Seal the carb to the hood. I have a trap door air cleaner. When it is cool or cold outside, it is a good performer. Not so much when it’s warm or hot.

The one that’s open all around on the bottom isn’t a good choice. Looks great! Don’t count on great consistent performance at a high level since it’s sucking in hot engine bay air.

Yes, IDK if it’s available through MoPar anymore. But you’ll need the windage tray, 4 main cap bolts that are drilled on the head to accept 4 small (1/4 X 20 IIRC) attaching bolts that secure the windage tray...

Thank you rumblefish360! I have found the LA engine windage tray at Classic Industries and contacted them. They said the four drilled and tapped Main Cap Bolts needed to mount it are not included. Do you know if these Main bolts and the smaller windage tray attachment bolts are still available anywhere?

Thank you rumblefish360! I have found the LA engine windage tray at Classic Industries and contacted them. They said the four drilled and tapped Main Cap Bolts needed to mount it are not included. Do you know if these Main bolts and the smaller windage tray attachment bolts are still available anywhere?
Yes they are and it’s a goggle search away. Milodon also has there version and IIRC, replacement type bolts for this. Be aware that they have studs which are different in here requirements so steer away from studs. Just get the bolts. The small bolts can be hardware store bolts. Lock tight and hem in with the blue compound.

Auto Transport Service
Back