• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 la stalling problem

65coronet70dart

Local time
3:03 AM
Reaction score
Have a rebuilt 318 in my 65 Coronet. Been fighting a stalling problem for some time now. I can drive it just fine and can sense when it's going to stall and will adjust fuel pedal accordingly. But when my wife drives it she stalls it often. I can live with it, but she's going to fry the starter, so trying to figure out best way to fix this.

Factory cast iron intake with 2 barrel carb nothing special. Engine rebuilders put an rv cam in it. Transmissions and Torque converter have been rebuilt. Not sure what the stall is because they rebuilt it.

When it stalls is anytime you get off the throttle and get back onto the throttle, like when coming to a stop sign, or a corner. Usually a few quick short stabs at the fuel pedal with correct it or put in neutral.

It starts and runs at idle just fine, I've tried turning idle up, but then your having to keep your foot on the brake to keep it from driving away. Crusies great.

I run all premium non ethanol fuel. Carter carb OE type carb, it's been rebuilt once and the replaced with reman and no change. Eletrionic pertronix ignition. Tried many different timing settings and carb settings.

Ideas, input suggestions, things to check, anything is appreciated

Sounds like the carb is plugged or a vacuum leak.

Is the heat crossover in the intake clear and heating the manifold?

Is the accelerator pump working right?

What is the manifold vacuum at idle?

Is the Pert ign new? The modules require the full 12v. The stock ign coil would have used a ballast res, which must be retained for a stock coil.
So has it been wired up to provide 12v to the module?

Have a rebuilt 318 in my 65 Coronet. Been fighting a stalling problem for some time now. I can drive it just fine and can sense when it's going to stall and will adjust fuel pedal accordingly. But when my wife drives it she stalls it often. I can live with it, but she's going to fry the starter, so trying to figure out best way to fix this.

Factory cast iron intake with 2 barrel carb nothing special. Engine rebuilders put an rv cam in it. Transmissions and Torque converter have been rebuilt. Not sure what the stall is because they rebuilt it.

When it stalls is anytime you get off the throttle and get back onto the throttle, like when coming to a stop sign, or a corner. Usually a few quick short stabs at the fuel pedal with correct it or put in neutral.

It starts and runs at idle just fine, I've tried turning idle up, but then your having to keep your foot on the brake to keep it from driving away. Crusies great.

I run all premium non ethanol fuel. Carter carb OE type carb, it's been rebuilt once and the replaced with reman and no change. Eletrionic pertronix ignition. Tried many different timing settings and carb settings.

Check for vacuum leak
Check fuel filter
Check the floats, they seem high might be sloshing gas hence why you stab the pedal and it is OK.

You could try richening up the idle mixture. Some carbs have a dashpot to fix this problem. I don't remember when they started using them.

Was the carb rebuilt as well? Great tips posted to hunt this down...had a similar problem turned out to be acc pump.

What is the year of the vehicle? Depending on the year and model of carb.....probably a Carter 1-1/4" BBD 2 barrel but possibly a Stromberg WWC3, there are various subtle changes from year to year in the metering and spark advance characteristics and emission control requirements and accessories. Now, since you've changed the cam (brand name and specs not specified) or how it was installed....advanced, retarded, straight up, which will influence manifold vacuum, idle characteristics, spark timing, RPM. Perhaps, more initial advance is needed, or RPM, or mixture screw setting. Be advised that some early models of the Carter BBD carb had non-adjustable stop screws limiting idle mixture richness.....forcing them will cause them to break off.....just be careful. What are current settings??
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back