• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 missing timing pointer ?

Bryan Refino

Local time
4:00 AM
Reaction score
I just bought my first Plymouth 1969 sport satellite factory a/c with a 318
I was trying to find the timing pointer but cant seem to find it ? some pages I look at seem to suggest its molded into the timing cover other pages seem to say it should be on the passenger side of the car and it bolts to the water pump bolts ? I certainly do not have the one that's molded into the cover and if it is supposed to be attached to the pump then mine is missing .

The question I have is how do I determine which one I'm supposed to have ? I don't know if someone changed the cover at some point ? Does the 318 timing cover interchange with some other size engine ? can I find a bolt on style , mark the balancer at tdc and just start over ? I just want to get some information so I don't screw it up , thanks in advance for any help

Post some pictures of both sides of your timing cover. My bets you have a water pump outlet covering them up. Mismatch of parts.

I have a similar thing going on on a 318 w. A/C. The bottom radiator hose covers the timing mark on the left side of the motor. I can find it, but only from one very narrow point of view.

A '69 uses a bolted on pointer on the passenger side, and the balance will match. The lower water pump port is on the driver side, so the timing marks are on the passenger side.

The timing plate on my 318 Poly bolts to the pump and is on the passenger side. Problem is some of the A and LA 318 parts are interchangeable, water pump being one of them. Just to make sure, I brought the engine to TDC and checked the balancer for the mark.

thanks for all the information , this is a early 1969 / late 68 is what i was told by the previous owner , ill check out everyone's advice tonight and recheck all the locations .
thanks again for the help

i had a quick minute and here are pictures of both sides , as I've said before this is my first Plymouth so I am not sure what belongs and what doesn't ? I did see that you can buy bolt on pointers but they all appear to be for big block , does that matter for this particular application ?

20210408_151918.jpg 20210408_151950.jpg 20210408_151844.jpg

MOPAR 273 318 340 LA Engine Timing Mark 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 Dart | eBay

You will need to pull #1 spark plug, turn the motor over by hand, and using a finger in the plug hole, turn (or use a helper) by hand until you feel compression pressure. Use a long phillips and rotate the crank until the piston is at tdc. The balancer mark should be on the passenger side. If it is on the driver side, you either are going to need a balancer too, or convert over to a late cover, but the lower hose makes it hard to time.

$10 plus $8.50 to ship it by small flat rate box. It’s for the passenger side with the cast iron water pump, which I see you are running! Let me know if you need it.

5FF4482F-2C7D-4CF9-A9B1-8FAD49107CF3.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back