• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 Poly Oil filter leak

Old Frat

Local time
6:50 AM
Reaction score
Well guys I'M back again:
As I stated my last post The engine is running, But I have an oil leak at the Filter.
I checked to make sure it had the proper filter installed, I tightened it jut a tad more by hand, still leaking.If I recall these engines had originally had a canister type filter at one time, I checked the threaded tube that the spin-on screws on to and found the seal (think at one time it was an "O"ring, which was in very bad shape, but I'M thinking there the plate the filter seats against has a gasket under it which seems to be where the leak is. I don't know if the guy that rebuilt the engine or the guy that installed it had that plate out or not. From what I have seen he didn't have a clue as to what he was doing. I attempted to remove the plate to see if the gasket had been replaced or the Idiot just used silicone. My problem is the plate as I recall should just pop out with a little coaxing, this thing will not move. Any suggestions? or Am I wrong about the plate coming out?

Have you removed the retainer that the filter threads onto? Once thats out the plate should be removable. If the original gasket is still in place it may be very brittle and come off in pieces. I replaced one on a 273 and it did exactly that. Used Indian Head shellac with a new gasket and hasn't leaked a drop in over a year.

Have you removed the retainer that the filter threads onto? Once thats out the plate should be removable. If the original gasket is still in place it may be very brittle and come off in pieces. I replaced one on a 273 and it did exactly that. Used Indian Head shellac with a new gasket and hasn't leaked a drop in over a year.
I already removed the threaded retainer, and just wanted to be sure I was on the right track.
Tomorrow morning I'LL see what I can do to get the plate out. Like I said it might be siliconed in. Thanks for the insight

Auto Transport Service
Back