• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 poly question

Red Cricket

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
G day all, Looking for suggestion on putting a temp gage in a 318 poly intake. All I see that may work looks to be a 1/2 fine thread fitting? Tks for your time.

All tapped holes into the water passages are pipe thread, NPT. Post a pic. The factory senders are 1/8" pipe, usually there is a pipe plug somewhere.

Here are a couple pics of my 60 318 Poly. The sender hole is on the drivers side between the carb and radiator inlet. 1/4" Pipe thread. Also a pic of the correct sender for a gauge.

100_0435.JPG

100_0436.JPG

I have the sender for the idiot light, but no aftermarket temp gauge has a sender small enough.

Thats what I was thinking. Is there any way of having a temp gage?

The sender in my picture is for a gauge. What car and what year Poly are you working on?

Its a 65 dodge coronet 318 poly. I have seen the sending unit.....just nice to know exact temp.

There is no gage from the factory. Its either L (low) or H (HIGH).

Well...........I guess my gauge don't have numbers either. Just the L and H with a bar in between. Mine runs just a little left of center on the bar. I figure if it gets over half way to the H, I better start watching it closer. I guess you could mount an aftermarket gauge with numbers under the dash and use an adapter in the provided 1/4" pipe threaded hole. To me the temp gauge is better than the idiot lights I have for the oil and amps.

Phoenix dash1.JPG

Very nice dash! Beautiful condition! I didnt know if they made a "special" adapter for a gage?

Yeah they are. You should be able to find a cheaper one at an Auto Parts store. Napa or others should stock them.

I thought the threaded hole was 1/4, that gauge is 1/2, or am I missing something.

Thats what I thought..Just wondering if a Smaller in dia was available. I like watching the temp numbers!

That is the exact size that is in the picture I put on post #3. 1/4" pipe thread is the size that is drilled in your 318 Poly. Same as mine. 1/4" pipe thread is the threads on the factory sensor. 1/4" pipe threads are what are on the probe that is included in the aftermarket gauges I referenced from Ebay.
Go to the hardware store and buy a 1/4" pipe nipple. It will screw right into the hole in your intake the same way that probe included with the aftermarket gauge.

That 1/2" fine threaded fitting you mentioned in your first post is actually a 1/4" pipe thread.

Auto Transport Service
Back