• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

318 poly to 440 swap

Mopars again

Local time
6:29 AM
Reaction score
My first post-I am looking at a 66 Satellite w a 318 poly/console auto. that I will want to change to a 440. What EXACTLY is necessary. I have heard of swap motor mounts? How about the 318's trans? A direct fit or do I need another transmission as well? Exaust manifolds or headers? Poly HP stuff seems to be a flat line so a swap is definately in the cards if I buy the car. Headers would depend on their cost.

Last edited:
First thing you'll need is a 440 ! (just kidding). Check Schumacher for mounts as well. Trash the trans, you'll need a BB trans. Why manifolds ? if you're doing a 440, let it breathe !

The wiring is a bit different too and most likely so is the radiator. Big block motor mount brackets will be needed. The rubber biscuits are the same for both engines. My first swap ever was a 66 Belvedere with a poly. Put a 383 in it's place. Having a 440 with the correct accessorries and brackets would be a big help. I have a set of the motor mount brackets if you're interested....and I like the better biscuits that Schumacher has and for the trans mount too. Pricey but nice.

A 440 w/a 727 or 833 4speed is a bolt in swap. You can reuse the trans mount w/stock big block engine mount brackets and mounts. Sense you already have a SB 727 you can just have your drive shaft shortened. Your radiator will work if you use a driver side pickup water pump housing. Your engine wiring will need to be added onto, and headers will hook up to what you already have for pipes, but I recommend 3" all the way to the back bumper. This swap is so simple even I can do it.

These fellas have given you accurate info.
With fuel prices at $3.67 a gallon for super, why not keep with a small block?

I'm addicted to tire smoke heh heh, As much as I drive these cars and how far on a trip even 8MPG is no big deal.

IIRC, I used my old drive shaft when I did the swap in mine. The big block 727 trans is the same as the small block and uses the same mount....just different bolt pattern on the bell.....so it's in the same location.

Will the push-button shifter of my 63 Fury (that I just got this week), hook up to a 70"s era 727 BB trans. without any modification? Is the 3-row radiator that came with the car (318 poly), enough for a mild 440?

Spring Fling in Van Nuys is held 2 miles from my home in mid April 2011. I expect I can get just about any part/s I might need there so If there is anything special to get I should put it on a list now. Is there possibly a reasonably priced OD transmission option with this BB swap?

Will the push-button shifter of my 63 Fury (that I just got this week), hook up to a 70"s era 727 BB trans. without any modification? Is the 3-row radiator that came with the car (318 poly), enough for a mild 440?

Spring Fling in Van Nuys is held 2 miles from my home in mid April 2011. I expect I can get just about any part/s I might need there so If there is anything special to get I should put it on a list now. Is there possibly a reasonably priced OD transmission option with this BB swap?
The VB's are different for push buttons and they don't interchange with the later transmissions....

You will need a big block bellhousing for your 727. Also the pushbutton mechanism can be problematic for a simple swap. You might want to search for that separate issue. I'm sure someone has done that conversion.

You will need a big block bellhousing for your 727. Also the pushbutton mechanism can be problematic for a simple swap. You might want to search for that separate issue. I'm sure someone has done that conversion.
Well, since the bells are part of the case, you will need the case for a big block and swap all the internals or just get another complete transmission. Btw, this thread is getting close to being 8 years old.... :)

Well, since the bells are part of the case, you will need the case for a big block and swap all the internals or just get another complete transmission. Btw, this thread is getting close to being 8 years old.... :)

Sorry, I didn't notice that. I just started searching for 318 to 440 swap posts since that is the project that I am going to tackle. I hope the original poster was able to resolve their situation!!! I'd love an update with pictures!

Sorry, I didn't notice that. I just started searching for 318 to 440 swap posts since that is the project that I am going to tackle. I hope the original poster was able to resolve their situation!!! I'd love an update with pictures!
No need to be sorry. A lot of people do a search and end up in an old thread without noticing. I would like to know if the OP resolved it too. Last time on the site was in October so he's not MIA at least.

Auto Transport Service
Back