• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

340 Questions

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:39 AM
Reaction score
Hi I have a few questions regarding the venerable 340 motor. Does the 340 share the same type of distributiors as the 318 and 360?
Also were any of the 340’s 4 bolt mains?

Most everything the 318 and 340 share. Intake, dist, oil pan, crank. To my knowledge, there were no Mopar 4 bolt mains. The 426 hemi is the only one I know was crossbolted. There are aftermarket splayed 4 bolt main conversions for the small block.

Most everything the 318 and 340 share. Intake, dist, oil pan, crank. To my knowledge, there were no Mopar 4 bolt mains. The 426 hemi is the only one I know was crossbolted. There are aftermarket splayed 4 bolt main conversions for the small block.
Thanks!

Hey with Iron Heads and 10:1 and a single plane set up would the 340 would you think it be any less prone to detonation than other small blocks?

Never any 4bolt mains - and unless it's a T/A block it's not a good idea to convert one.
Any open chamber head is more prone to detonation - so pretty much all suffer the same issues.

The '70 TA & AAR blocks (rare) had thicker main webs to accommodate aftermarket four bolt mains In the mid '70's a buddy of mine bought a 340 from the junkyard out of a '70 340 Duster. He later discovered it was a thick web block, apparently some rare blocks got mis-applied.

IMHO here
10:1 with Iron heads and open combustion chamber is a missmatch without a BIG CAM
works RACE ONLY
a 360 is a stroked 340 in all practical purposes and the extra cubes will make up for the compression which you can't easily use
so throw a 360 or 4" crank in it and drop the compression a point- I won't tell
or aftermarket heads and tight quench
OR BOTH

IMHO here
10:1 with Iron heads and open combustion chamber is a missmatch without a BIG CAM
works RACE ONLY
a 360 is a stroked 340 in all practical purposes and the extra cubes will make up for the compression which you can't easily use
so throw a 360 or 4" crank in it and drop the compression a point- I won't tell
or aftermarket heads and tight quench
OR BOTH
My thoughts as well. I have delt with too many engines that detonate on hot days under load.... That never sits well with me.

Auto Transport Service
Back