• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3690201 tach drive distributor

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
11:54 PM
Reaction score
This is in my car. Have seen this number mentioned a few times here. What did it come on? Says Chrysler on it and it has a mech tach drive. Haven't pulled the cap. Clone 63 Max wedge

Saw one on ebay, says it was an over the counter race distributor and should have magnetic pick up, it does have 2 wires coming out of it.

.....From the '75 DC catalog........
upload_2021-9-23_19-4-38.png

As stated above it is a Mopar Performance distributor. RB has a pretty fast curve in it.

.......... I can't see a cable tach

Lol, I can see mine! It's more of the old school look these days for me.
IMO, Not really practical with where electronic feedback accuracy has progressed to over the last 50 years.

upload_2021-9-25_8-26-15.png

Been running one for over 30 years with a chrome box. Works great with no problems .Just put one in my latest build.

IMG_4074.JPG

I have the same distributor on my car. Where should I set the timing? When checking it it’s set at 0degrees and revving it up it does not change like a vacuum advance does. I messed with it a bit and set it to 6-8 degrees advanced with little change other than it seems to start better when hot.

Every car is different. I think I have mine set at 12 degrees initial and all in (32degrees) at 2500 rpm. If I run more advance it tends to ping when hot out, then I add booster.

Every car is different. I think I have mine set at 12 degrees initial and all in (32degrees) at 2500 rpm. If I run more advance it tends to ping when hot out, then I add booster.
When I was checking my timing, the timing mark did not move at all when I brought it up to 3000 rpm. Is this normal for this distributor? I’m used to vacuum advance distributors. The car runs great as is but I’m not sure if it’s working as it should.

Sounds like the timing light is not working. You should get movement from just turning the distributor.

The timing light is working. I moved the distributor and it went from 0 degrees to 6-8 degrees btdc, however when bringing the engine up to 3000 rpm the timing mark does not change position.
Sounds like the timing light is not working. You should get movement from just turning the distributor.

The timing light is working. I moved the distributor and it went from 0 degrees to 6-8 degrees btdc, however when bringing the engine up to 3000 rpm the timing mark does not change position.
When I was checking my timing, the timing mark did not move at all when I brought it up to 3000 rpm. Is this normal for this distributor? I’m used to vacuum advance distributors. The car runs great as is but I’m not sure if it’s working as it should.
One of two things. As Halifaxhops mentioned , that distributor has a very fast curve. Either the mechanical timing is "all in" very early (mine is all in about two hundred rpm above the 1200 rpm idle) or, your springs and weight system is frozen/stuck. Pull the cap off , see if the rotor spring forward,and back like its supposed to.

Any advantage/disadvantage to them? I can't see a cable tach
Well mine has been bulletproof, with a Mallory 690 box. I have two mechanical tachs, and the cable drive for them, but the Autometer monster is far more accurate and steady. MyJones-motrola/moroso are primarily a nostalgia gasser item now.

One of two things. As Halifaxhops mentioned , that distributor has a very fast curve. Either the mechanical timing is "all in" very early (mine is all in about two hundred rpm above the 1200 rpm idle) or, your springs and weight system is frozen/stuck. Pull the cap off , see if the rotor spring forward,and back like its supposed to.
Thanks. I’ll check it this weekend

FWIW, My aluminum came with this curve.......
upload_2022-3-7_21-53-41.png

Just sold a tach drive that had the weights welded at full advance. Check the internals

Auto Transport Service
Back