• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 6bbl

roadrunner69440

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
looking for some expert info. This goes against everything I’ve read and learned about road runners in particular so I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of such a thing so here it goes. A buddy of mine ( not the B.S type) states his dad bought a 69 runner brand new and stated it came with 383, with a 440 track pack. Wait,,,,,,WHAT????!! I ask him what that was and he said according to his dad it was a 383 with 440 heads and 6bbl setup. And swears ( his dad) bought it brand new that way! I couldn’t even imagine that edelbrock would have even made an intake for the 383 that soon, right? What you gurus think about all this?

Not sure but I don't think the factory EVER offered a 383 Six Pak! The 383 with 440 heads, Yes! I think it had 5 more horse power, 335HP.

Not sure but I don't think the factory EVER offered a 383 Six Pak! The 383 with 440 heads, Yes! I think it had 5 more horse power, 335HP.
Thanks for your input. The heads would just be 906’s ?

My mother in law bought a new 1971 Roadrunner with 2, 4 barrel carbs on a 383. Dealers would install different stuff on new cars back then.
That being said, I think you may be correct that the 383 six barrel intake was not manufactured that early.

Thanks for your input. The heads would just be 906’s ?

The 906 heads would be the standard heads with and without the HP. The difference in the heads would be the valve springs for use with the 383 and 440 HP cam as opposed to the standard 383 and 440 cam.

Did it happen the way it was stated? Memories fade over time and that was about 50 years ago. Could/did a dealer install new manifolds and carbs? Sure....but warranty and other issues would come into play. One consideration would be this would be a custom set up. Would a dealer want to have the responsibility for choosing the carbs, proper jetting, on going tuning, etc?

The only crazy 383 option never happened. The Super Performance Package was headers in the trunk, 780 Holley, .484 cam, high rise intake. They already had the A12, so it was never released for 1969.

:screwy::screwy::bs: The Six-pak ( yes, this is the correct factory spelling )never happened on anything other than a 340 or 440. Nuff said.

Last edited:
Factory NO....Direct connection, Yes.........

He possibly, bought the car and wanted a 6 pack and the dealer installed the direct connection setup......So he has a 383 bird with an aftermarket Chrysler part.....

I was under the impression that he said " I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of such a thing so here it goes. A buddy of mine ( not the B.S type) states his dad bought a 69 runner brand new and stated it came with 383, with a 440 track pack. Wait,,,,,,WHAT????!! I ask him what that was and he said according to his dad it was a 383 with 440 heads and 6bbl setup. And swears ( his dad) bought it brand new that way!"

I was under the impression that he said " I would like to know if anyone has ever heard of such a thing so here it goes. A buddy of mine ( not the B.S type) states his dad bought a 69 runner brand new and stated it came with 383, with a 440 track pack. Wait,,,,,,WHAT????!! I ask him what that was and he said according to his dad it was a 383 with 440 heads and 6bbl setup. And swears ( his dad) bought it brand new that way!"
He can swear all he wants and that answer is one big fat NO.......He could have purchased the car and the dealer took the DC setup and installed it.....Which means he has an original 383 4 barbell with the possibility of a dealer installed 6 pack.....Which means ZERO to value/correctness.......It is just part of the history of the car...

The 906 heads would be the standard heads with and without the HP. The difference in the heads would be the valve springs for use with the 383 and 440 HP cam as opposed to the standard 383 and 440 cam.

Did it happen the way it was stated? Memories fade over time and that was about 50 years ago. Could/did a dealer install new manifolds and carbs? Sure....but warranty and other issues would come into play. One consideration would be this would be a custom set up. Would a dealer want to have the responsibility for choosing the carbs, proper jetting, on going tuning, etc?
Why not, many did. That's why we have oddities like this. Many cars of that era were sold without warranty. If the customer wanted it they sold it.

See post #6.
Not sure what your trying to point out.....Are you saying dealers could not install direct connection parts? People back then were not that concerned about warranties when it came to performance options.....It was never a factory option as I stated 3x's now.....

No such factory thing period. Never.

Aftermarket or Direct Connection only.

Next question...

I think we are saying the same thing. I am saying that it didn't happen "new" as in factory new, not Dealer new. Of course anything could be done by a dealer once he got it. Like say Norm's, Hurst, Creative industries, Yenko, etc.....

Why not, many did. That's why we have oddities like this. Many cars of that era were sold without warranty. If the customer wanted it they sold it.

No. I can guarantee you to CYA of the dealer, the car was sold with a warranty. Only after the sale was the warranty voided.

Smart dealers would NEVER sell a car without legal cover and to protect against a custom job gone wrong.

Reminds me of that guy at what seems like every gas station I’m filling up at.

It goes like this:

“Wow, nice Roadrunner (I own a coronet RT) I had a 440 HEMI with a six pac! Bought it brand new!”

Reminds me of that guy at what seems like every gas station I’m filling up at.

It goes like this:

“Wow, nice Roadrunner (I own a coronet RT) I had a 440 HEMI with a six pac! Bought it brand new!”
Bought it brand new is meaningless. He may have bought it brand new just not that way. If you found the right machine shop anything was possible.

Auto Transport Service
Back