• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 aluminum intake

Rob

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
My question is do i just put the valley pan with permatex on each side or is there a better way?wondering Rob.

I myself used Holomyer (SP?) when I did mine. On both sides. The Permatex should do well.

I used the gaskets that came with the valley pan, and I seem to have issues:( I'd like to follow this thread.

All I ever use is the Permatex "aircraft" (in the jug) on the sides and ends. Then I use the Permatex in a tube in the corners.

In almost 40 years I've never had an issue

Do I understand you right, no gaskets, but "aircraft" on the head, valley pan, and intake faces? This may explain the difficulty of aligning the intake bolts, tough to get in. It came with a torker with gaskets and pan. I thought I should put it back the way I found it with the performer rpm. One of the intake holes threads was damaged. After trying the pan with the gaskets I can see why. dont mean to hijack, sorry.

Yup. I've never used anything buy just the valley pan on a 383 or 440. IF there has been some cutting done on your heads and/or intake, it may be necessary to use the extra gaskets to fill the space some.......person....created. But I've never had to use any. This includes on a TM-6 (I think it was) that had been messed with and the angle of the faces was wrong. So I took a known good intake along with the one that was messed up to my machinist. He fixed the one that was messed up, and it was a perfect fit.

Ditto. No paper gasket/s. Only some sealer and the valley pan.

Scott, the valey pan is the gasket as well as a sheild for the lifter valley, so the oil doesn't splash everywhere. Permatex on the ends and rails is a good idea. Just a thin beed will do.

Auto Transport Service
Back