• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 dual quad high rise manifold

Gospel Runner

Local time
5:16 PM
Reaction score
Will this 383 manifold fit a 440 with Indy heads?

No.

There are certain heads with a raised intake port,, that a 440 intake can be used on a low deck 383/400. I doesn't work the other way.

Why throttle the Indy intake ports with an inferior manifold?
Mike

At present I have a single plane Indy intake with a 950 double pumper Holley carb. I thought two 625’s would pump much more air and fuel. Is that backwards?

You are headed down the wrong track. What "high rise" dual quad manifold are you talking about? A tunnel ram?

I have the same manifold. At one time, I was considering a 400 stroker...

I do not know much about it. It is not a tunnel Ram.

This is it.

E378108C-C5D1-4763-956F-2762FDDB0C76.jpeg 3113A649-B877-41E8-97DD-ADC328093347.jpeg

We use that manifold with decent result on Eddy heads. It is definitely not the intake you want to use with Indy heads. If you are looking for an intake with 2 carbs you have 6 options. Custom fabricated tunnel ram, Indy tunnel ram, Indy 440-25 cross ram, Indy Mod Man, newer Chrysler cross ram, original Max wedge cross ram.
Doug

Thank you gentlemen, I will not purchase these. Those other options sound expensive, but that goes along with speed. I will work with what I have for now, and safe up in the mean time. I like the idea of a tunnel Ram, with 2x4’s. I heard they are hard to tune. Is that accurate?

I ran a tunnel ram on my drag cars for many years, both 440 & 400/451. Two 650 Holley DP. Easy to tune. Nearly stock jets, plugged power valve. Played with the accelerator pump cams and shooter size a bit. Once set, almost never had to change anything. My drag motors in those days were 600 HP and 7000 RPM.
However a single four is easier and these days with the correct manifold and carb combination make about the same HP.

If you have 700 HP now, why would you consider that Offy setup that was out of date by '70?

Auto Transport Service
Back