• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 engine turquoise paint

Steve009

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:52 AM
Reaction score
IMG_3843.JPG
Can anyone tell me which of these two 383 engine colours are correct for 1964? The heads in the car are a darker colour and the valve covers I just got are lighter. Both guys stated they used period correct turquoise but they both can't be right! See the picture and what are your thoughts?

Cameras are different in color but I would say that the valve cover is what you want. What's on the head is too green, (dark).
chappell644.jpg

Cameras are different in color but I would say that the valve cover is what you want. What's on the head is too green, (dark).
View attachment 392207

Thanks for the pic! I tend to agree with you although I was hoping I was wrong. Those are spare heads I have off the original block. The engine in the car is all painted that darker colour as well :( looks like I have some work ahead of me.

Yep, the valve cover is closest. This 440 is going in my '64 Polara and was painted with Mopar Turquoise (P4120752AB), and its definitely more blue than green. Plus, its the same color as the 383 I pulled out of the '64.

IMG_5329a.JPG

I ran into the same thing a few years ago. I ran out of the Chrysler brand paint and picked up another brand of paint at an auto parts store. I don't remember the brand, maybe Tempo, but it was darker like in your picture. In your case, if the rest of the engine is the darker color, I think I would repaint the valve covers and see what it looked like. I doubt if anybody would notice.

I think it would eat me alive knowing I have the wrong colour. I'm weird like that haha

I gave up on rattle cans and went with frank Baldason's paint he sells it in pints

I vote for the valve cover as well. My 68 440 was that color when I bought it back in 71.

My 69 383 ........(I know, it has the wrong radiator hose but its the only one I could find at the time.)
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_3028.JPG

Old post i know, but did you find a match to the valve cover paint?

Paint tint isn't quite like a go- no- go gauge.
But I wish it was as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back