• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 engine value question

XMAN JR

Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
Some time ago my dad bought his 67 gtx back from a guy. The original rear & 440 was replaced with a 8 3/4 & 383. My dad has passed & I want to sell the 383. I remember dad saying that it is a 68 engine. It ran really good. Its been sitting on an engine stand for a few years in a dry garage. With out going out & looking Im thinking dad said it was an HP block. I want to sell the complete engine. What are they going for these days ? I live in north central PA.

Considering it needs a rebuild I would probaly say a couple grand at best??? There’s a couple want to buy ads with guys looking for engines try to strike a deal with one of them.

Bo

For comparison I sold a running rebuilt low mileage 1968 440 for $3600

When my dad bought the gtx they guy he bought it from he said it was rebuilt. My dad didn't ask any questions because he didn't care. He was just happy to get his gtx back. I just looked at it. On the pad below the distributor it reads- 383 below that 12 2 2 below that HP Not sure where dad got the year from. I don't see any letters indicating the year. On the rt. side of the block just above the oil pan is the vin # it is 05212174 now the second digit might be a 3. Hard to read. It sounded like it has a slightly larger cam & it has a aluminum intake. My dad bought the 67 gtx 4spd in Orangeville PA.

Look on the driver's side of the block....towards the back a bit iirc for the casting date. I'll be raised numbers. The casting dates usually precede the build date of the car by nearly a year in some cases. I have a 440 with a 2 xx 69 and I pulled it out of a 70 Chrysler in 73.

Big Blocks have dried up at Pick and Pull
Some 383's are worth more than others if someone is doing a matching number restore but since yours is not original you need to check the date
I would think a 383 HP from the Road Runner Days ( or one of those 62 Dual 4bbl motors) would be worth something
I think of all the ones I scrapped (cringe) so much better than a 383 chevy in so many ways
I put a 440 crank and rods in one for a 383 superbird (rare 4 speed car) essentially made a 426 out of it, ported heads cam was stock seat duration with lots more lift, lucky MOPAR uses long ramps :)
I was service manager at a Chrysler Dealer when when we could not give superbirds and Hemi's away during the gas crunch

383 Super Bird?

If someone could hear it run, or if you had receipts, 2-3K might be realistic, especially if there's a shiny carb and intake on it.

HP stamp does add value unless it's home stamped.

Just the HP stamp, if legit narrows the date range to 68-71, the "desirable" years.

I did seek out a 1970 casting HP block for my 70 Super Bee build.

Back in those years you could get pretty much anything you wanted if you used the fleet order process
showcar paint, no decals/ emblems custom colors, etc 383 would have been easy in a B body
just put a note you were going to Bonneville :)
I've seen a couple but I do not remember selling any myself

We didn't have it rebuilt. It was running when my dad bought the car. Just going by what the guy said. Did replace the valve covers some time ago & it looked clean. So with that all said. Do you all think I could get between 800 & 1000 for it ? I would like to get enough to buy new magnum 500s for my dads 67 gtx & a good start on tires.

Gave $35 dollars for the last rebuildable. For the amount of time it has sit and not knowing the builder $150 would be tops.

to maximise your $$$ run a compression check
good compression will help
price can vary widely- you have to find the right buyer
first get the year

When my dad bought the gtx they guy he bought it from he said it was rebuilt. My dad didn't ask any questions because he didn't care. He was just happy to get his gtx back. I just looked at it. On the pad below the distributor it reads- 383 below that 12 2 2 below that HP Not sure where dad got the year from. I don't see any letters indicating the year. On the rt. side of the block just above the oil pan is the vin # it is 05212174 now the second digit might be a 3. Hard to read. It sounded like it has a slightly larger cam & it has a aluminum intake. My dad bought the 67 gtx 4spd in Orangeville PA.

The 0 tells us it's out of a 1970 model year car. The second character is a letter, not a number. Possibly a B?

We didn't have it rebuilt. It was running when my dad bought the car. Just going by what the guy said. Did replace the valve covers some time ago & it looked clean. So with that all said. Do you all think I could get between 800 & 1000 for it ? I would like to get enough to buy new magnum 500s for my dads 67 gtx & a good start on tires.

probably.

let's see a pic.

pretty sells.

Gave $35 dollars for the last rebuildable. For the amount of time it has sit and not knowing the builder $150 would be tops.
Really ! The parts on it are worth more than that. Even in a dry heated garage.

Really ! The parts on it are worth more than that. Even in a dry heated garage.
It still needs to be disassembled checked and put back together. Machine shop labor isn't cheap and neather are parts. It would be quite easy to stick 2 grand in it and just not worth spending that kind of money on an engine blindly.

The 0 tells us it's out of a 1970 model year car. The second character is a letter, not a number. Possibly a B?

I'm a little puzzled with this info.
I just checked the right side stamping on the block (just above the oil pan lip) of my '69 Super Bee's 383, and it has the full VIN# stamped on it. The same as what's on the VIN Plate on the dash.
Did different Plants stamp their engines differently?

Edit: I was hoping this would also show what "xman" had said about the number he had found on his 383. It would have made my post make more sense.

I'm a little puzzled with this info.
I just checked the right side stamping on the block (just above the oil pan lip) of my '69 Super Bee's 383, and it has the full VIN# stamped on it. The same as what's on the VIN Plate on the dash.
Did different Plants stamp their engines differently?

The full 13 characters of the VIN were stamped early in the 69 model year (Aug to ~Dec 68) About January of 69, the VIN stamps go to eight characters. Year, plant and six digits of the VIN. This format continued in later years.

The full 13 characters of the VIN were stamped early in the 69 model year (Aug to ~Dec) About January of 69, the VIN stamps go to eight characters. Year, plant and six digits of the VIN. This format continued in later years.

Oh, okay. Mine was built in August of 1968 so that would make sense.
Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back