• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 HP Engine from 1962

angus

Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
Hey, I apologize if I'm repeating myself, I mention this question in my member introduction but it got lost in all the excitement...

I am the proud (if not a little surprised) owner of a 1962 "B" 383 Engine from 1962. It has a four-barrel manifold that (after looking it up) looks to be right for that engine. The engine is stamped with S-38 HP "Maltese Cross" 3-6. I deciphered most of this but I am curious what "High Performance (HP)" means? What is the difference on an HP motor than a regular 383 from 1962 - if anything? I guess this engine is going to be with me for a while and I'd like to be able to explain it to someone else if asked.
NY18.jpeg

Not sure where that picture is taken from. It that the front valley rail or a strange below distributor picture?

I'm pretty sure that the HP has a little higher compression ratio and a 4bbl carb. There are really no differences in the block. Heads I wouldn't know if they were different.

The pic is of the deck surface of the block and the correct location for the numbers on a B engine

If I recall, the 'maltese cross' may designate an under size crank journal.

HP just means a 4 bl carb and a dual point distributor, and cam spec.

Auto Transport Service
Back