• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 max bore.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:14 PM
Reaction score
Just one more thing to ask. My motor is already bored 30. If it need's to be bored again what is the safe amount on the B 383 with out having heat issues. Know some block's have more metal in the area of oil ports and water port's. This will make me feel better with the build. Their is a crust ring at the top but till the motor shop get's it wont know how far we will have to take the bore. Thanks for any info and appreciate all the comment's on the cam shaft it was a lot of help. Blue69Runner.

The next oversize is .040 and then the last overbore recommended is .060 most of the time these overbore sizes are no problem for the 383 block but to be positive on if you can go oversize or not sonic checking is always recommended.

Just one more thing to ask. My motor is already bored 30. If it need's to be bored again what is the safe amount on the B 383 with out having heat issues. Know some block's have more metal in the area of oil ports and water port's. This will make me feel better with the build. Their is a crust ring at the top but till the motor shop get's it wont know how far we will have to take the bore. Thanks for any info and appreciate all the comment's on the cam shaft it was a lot of help. Blue69Runner.
383's have thicker cylinder walls than 440's so you should be safe at 60 over (more 60 over pistons available) but if it is a 383 2bbl block or a really early casting I wouldn't trust it. :moparsmiley:

bore over and sleeve back to standard or whatever you want. always worked for me and didn't have any heat issues either. just a thought good luck

383's have thicker cylinder walls than 440's so you should be safe at 60 over (more 60 over pistons available) but if it is a 383 2bbl block or a really early casting I wouldn't trust it. :moparsmiley:
A block is a block is a block. 2 or 4 bbl stamped HP or not. They are all the same Only way to tell is sonic testing that’s the only way

I have a '64 383 block that is bored to +.060" (4.310"). It was sonic checked first to make sure it would be ok. Will be a street/strip, normally aspirated engine.
I have customers (NHRA stock & super stock) that will bore the blocks out to 4.320" or 4.325" as allowable (up to +.085")by NHRA . Mind you this is first with sonic check and then followed up by some block filler for stability.

Yes my motor builder can sonic test the block. It is a modern shop so they have all the latest machines to do the work. Thanks for the info will take it too him Monday and see what we figure out. It is a B motor 1968 make as far as I can tell by the block stamping's.

Yes my motor builder can sonic test the block. It is a modern shop so they have all the latest machines to do the work. Thanks for the info will take it too him Monday and see what we figure out. It is a B motor 1968 make as far as I can tell by the block stamping's.
If you don't already have a connection for pistons and connecting rods, please let me know as I can help you with them. I'm a senior sales tech at CP-CARRILLO.
-Mike

me neither, must be a new cartel. lol

I’ve been doing this for 40 never heard of them. I need a stroker kit for a 383. Make me a deal and I’ll be able to say I’ve heard of them.

Really, you've never heard of Carillo? They have had a reputation for building the best connecting rods for fifty years.

I assumed he was joking. Guess not.

Thank guys , for
https://www.cp-carrillo.com/pt-3508-rods.html

They have been around since the early 60s...I have used their rods and pistons in several big bore bikes and various cars over the years. Maybe they are bigger in Europe. Never had an issue with anything I've bought from them. The finish is amazing to the touch! Recommended.
Thanks for the link to our website! Yes, Carrillo Rods has been around since the early 1960's here in California. Fred Carrillo was the inventor of the aftermarket H-beam connecting rod back in the late 1950's. For all all others, please check out our website for more information.

Man, I can’t believe they never heard of Carrillo. U guys must of had a sheltered life. The rods are not really for our street builds. But high end race engines use them. And many fuel cars use them. Kim

If you don't already have a connection for pistons and connecting rods, please let me know as I can help you with them. I'm a senior sales tech at CP-CARRILLO.
-Mike
Hey that's good to know as I am doing a 451 stroker engine

Up date on the 383 motor Machine shop say bore will be 40 over stock and crank only need's 10 thou. off stock numbers. So think I am going to be happy. Thanks guy's for all the info. Blue 69Runner

Auto Transport Service
Back