• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 motor

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:47 PM
Reaction score
Need some help. I pulled a 383 motor out of my 69 runner. No it is not numbers matching. Looking for another block that is stock not bored out yet. When reading the number's stamped near the distributor. Would it have the HP stamped on it. See the E 9 68. Know it is a B block. In the casting number would it have the B or the RB. Had all this wrote down some where but cant find it. Thanks for the help. blue69runner.

If it was an HP.. it would be stamped as such..
beerestoration2017 253.JPG

Thanks dadsbee. Here is the stupid question. What dose the HP stand for. Is this still a B block.

Definitely a B block or it wouldn't be stamped there at all. RB's are stamped on the flat pad at the front of the valley pan.

Going to head up to the machine shop and copy down all the number's again. Know I had them wrote down some where but that is how it goes when these project's take so long. Thanks to all for your information. blue.

Just an FYI there is absolutely no difference in a 383 hp block vs a standard block. So don’t waste your time trying to find an hp block just because you think it’s better.

From what I read is that the HP had the 440 crank-head's and the cam in it. So thanks for all the info.

From a Mopar Muscle article: In 1968 and 1969 there were two new high performance versions of the 383 available. The 383 Super Commando was a slight performance upgrade producing 330 hp due to an unsilenced air cleaner and dual exhaust. The best 68-69 383 engine was available on the road runner and coronet superbee. It made, some say underrated, 335 hp thanks to a number of high-performance 440 parts . It received the recontoured 440 heads with larger exhaust valves of 1.74", compared to standard 1.60" exhaust valves. Heavy duty valve springs and rocker arms were also installed and shared the same camshaft as the 440. In addition this engine also boasted a new dual-plane intake manifold with a Carter AVS 4-bbl carburator.

I have seen plenty of confusion when comparing 68-69 330 and 335 hp 383s...and I would not say I know all because mopar did weird stuff, but looking at advertising and researching how they assembled the 383 b bodies all the 330 horsepower were ac optioned cars and all painted turquiose...the 330hp does not necessarily/ likely not have hp stamp on the pad. Both the 330 and 335 were high performance engines with hp exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust with same heads and compression. The 330 was ac the 335hp magnum did not have ac. Not sure if a bee or rr could be ordered with ac??? I will have to look...
69 383 magnum 335hp were painted orange and had larger magnum cam and valve springs, w windage tray and double roller timing chain.
The 383 magnum 335hp was advertised for the road runner and bee are stamped hp and I believe it made it into some of the chargers if it was ordered with no ac or was a 4 speed car. The usual sign of a 383 magnum is a orange engine..(edit 68 turquoise)..but it is unusual to find a charger born with a orange 383...no idea how many since most were turquoise and had ac.

The hp on the block is just a stamp, the block is no different then a 2barrel. On a 383 if you deck the block you can lose the stamp marks completely, so while at the machine shop if you want to keep the stamp...keep that in mind.

Last edited:
383 magnum 335hp were painted orange 68 turquoise, 69 orange and had larger magnum cam and valve springs, w windage tray and double roller timing chain.
The 383 magnum 335hp was advertised for the road runner and bee, and I believe it made it into some of the chargers Not in chargers for 68/69 if it was ordered with no ac or was a 4 speed car.

Seems like there is conflicting info on a 68 383 magnum paint color, some list orange? Some don't, but turquoise I believe is correct...thanks!
I did look it up and you could get ac in a bee or roadrunner it came with turquoise 330hp. It would be interesting who out there has a bee or rr with ac and a 383....that is probably unusual. Our 69 bee 383 auto has no ac and had a orange 335magnum engine. I have heard of a 4 speed 383 charger born with a orange magnum engine... but they should have only been 330hp turquoise engine w 4 speed in chargers..be interesting to hear from someone who had a new 69 4 speed charger or auto no ac ??? Be interesting to here what is out there!
Our 69 charger 383hp auto had ac turquoise 330hp.

Screenshot_20201124-155923_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Good information to know. Have a bare block on it's way. So I can get a motor built now I hope. Will check with my motor guy on the number's on the head's. Getting seat's for unleaded gas. This motor did have the purple cam in it. So want to stay with the same ratio. Will be watching to see what other info surfaces.

I would really do your research on what pistons to use so you end up with a decent compression engine.

Yes reading post here learned that you can loose compression with relief piston's. Going to stay with flat top. Thanks BLK 68 R/T. Hope the block I just bought will work out. Cant see any thing in pictures on E bay. But the guy seems to be straight forward. :praying:

The cam is really what determines if you need valve reliefs. Stock heads with no reliefs at 0 deck you can push .5 lift....Lol.. till you float the valves and then releifs are really needed.
In the past we have shaved heads up to .070 to gain some compression on a 383. We've decked blocks as well...usually just to square them, but also to get 0 deck. Some 383s are really unsquare and need the decks machined pretty badly.
But you should be fine most 383s are good rebuilders...We've went up to .070 over on a 383.

Need some help. I pulled a 383 motor out of my 69 runner. No it is not numbers matching. Looking for another block that is stock not bored out yet. When reading the number's stamped near the distributor. Would it have the HP stamped on it. See the E 9 68. Know it is a B block. In the casting number would it have the B or the RB. Had all this wrote down some where but cant find it. Thanks for the help. blue69runner.
the block casting number 2468130 was used on all 383's from 1959-1971 except 1965, the 1965 casting number is 2532130.

Yes reading post here learned that you can loose compression with relief piston's. Going to stay with flat top. Thanks BLK 68 R/T. Hope the block I just bought will work out. Cant see any thing in pictures on E bay. But the guy seems to be straight forward. :praying:

Don't trust anybody on Ebay. I bought a 383 from a guy once that was supposed to be newly rebuilt. When I got it I pulled the pan and checked one of the bearings. I ran my fingernails across it and the crank felt like a file under there. The rest of the motor was the same. It had a fresh paint job and that's all. This guy was the nicest person I ever talked to. BUYER Beware on Ebay

Auto Transport Service
Back