• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 oil pan question

Loulang

Local time
9:09 PM
Reaction score
I’m new to my 1966 dodge 383 and all I know is motor was rebuilt not long before I bought the car. My question is does it need a windage tray and any suggestions on windage tray and oil pan gasket. I have to take oil pan off due to leak so any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

1. No you likely don't need a windage tray, they didn't have them originally.

2. Are you certain your leak stems from the oil pan?
- Many times people mistake a leak from higher up as an oil pan leak.
It can be done in the car but it's a bit tedious.

There are other threads here which deal with gaskets, sealers and installation tips.

1. No you likely don't need a windage tray, they didn't have them originally.

2. Are you certain your leak stems from the oil pan?
- Many times people mistake a leak from higher up as an oil pan leak.
It can be done in the car but it's a bit tedious.

There are other threads here which deal with gaskets, sealers and installation tips.
I need to fill the bolt holes for the main that’s we’re my leak is so I’m dropping the pan

379840C1-53E5-4621-9F10-C84937AA2648.jpeg

EEFC35A5-210B-43E7-A27F-06FDCEFA4116.jpeg

A7ADD83B-B688-4802-8089-7EEC13F62173.jpeg

The bolt holes in the rear main seal aluminum retainer are not causing any issues, and definately do not need to be filled with RTV (you won't like the result the next time you need to remove the retainer!!) There is plenty of gasket sealing before the bolt hole starts. The side seals look dry, but could be seeping a little. Snug up the pan bolts and see if that helps.

You do know that your engine color is incorrect?
It should be "Turquoise"
Your's looks like a Ford color.

Auto Transport Service
Back