• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 piston change ones again

1970lynch

Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have read few threads on this subj but feels like non of them are the same as mine if not please guide me. Thanks.
So i have 2468130-2 number 383 block. It has stock pistons, rods, crank when i bought it. As cylinders needed to be bored i had to change pistons to .030 over. I have bought KB-400 pistons.
According to other threads stock piston for 383 block weight 770 grams. According to UEM site KB-400 weights 766 grams.
The question is: do i have to make a rotating assembly balance with new pistons (everything else from rotating assembly stays the same) or this weight difference is not that critical?

I think (very willing to be proved wrong!) that four grams is under factory balance tolerance. I think i remember 10 grams + or - was acceptable .
I wouldnt worry at all. I WOULD weigh the old pistons, to make sure your info is correct.

My last engine build on a factory 340 the lightest rod was 732 grams and the heaviest was 748 grams. Apparently the factory thought it was good enough. The pistons were also a few grams off from each other. Weigh ur rods and see if u can mix and match weight pairs. All pistons never seem to weigh the same. Kim

If your weights are right you would probably get away without balancing.
An engine can be surprisingly tolerant to imbalances inside the crankcase.
However I would recommend you get a reputable shop to do it because it can highlight other issues that may cause problems.
EG - wrong or wobbly harmonic damper or incorrect flex plate etc.
My view is for around $400 I know it is going to run right- provided it is done right.
If the budget is tight that will be a factor.
In your post you say you bought this engine you cannot be sure how it ran or whether the components truly matched.

Light piston won't hurt anything. Its reciprocating weight. You are fine.
Doug

As I've pointed out many times how much do you think the oil that gets caught up in the windage from the crankshaft weights? Do you think it's evenly distributed?

If your weights are right you would probably get away without balancing.
An engine can be surprisingly tolerant to imbalances inside the crankcase.
However I would recommend you get a reputable shop to do it because it can highlight other issues that may cause problems.
EG - wrong or wobbly harmonic damper or incorrect flex plate etc.
My view is for around $400 I know it is going to run right- provided it is done right.
If the budget is tight that will be a factor.
In your post you say you bought this engine you cannot be sure how it ran or whether the components truly matched.
I would like to make it with no hesitation, the problem is that there is no proper machine shop here in russia. Especially in saint petersburg where i am located.

Thanks for all the answers. I should start with weight in all of the rods, old pistons and new pistons to see the real weights and move from there.

I would like to make it with no hesitation, the problem is that there is no proper machine shop here in russia. Especially in saint petersburg where i am located.

Thanks for all the answers. I should start with weight in all of the rods, old pistons and new pistons to see the real weights and move from there.

Shoot me a pm when you clear your inbox please

Auto Transport Service
Back