• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 RR, Can I use all studs for headers?

koosh

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
69 RR, 383, Will I be able to install the headers if I put all studs in first? (Size? Length?)
Also, best product to use on the threads for no coolant leaks?
Thanks!

I think having the studs in place before you do the header will be sort of a pain in the ***. Especially if you already have clearance issues.

I think having the studs in place before you do the header will be sort of a pain in the ***. Especially if you already have clearance issues.
I was afraid of that....☹

Its easier to install the headers from the bottom up. Installing them from the top down is a nightmare.

The 383 does have a little more room on both sides compared to a 440 but not that much. The norm is to have a stud front and back. That will make it easy to hang the header on the front stud when changing the starter. Use header bolts in between. Using studs in the middle will make it hard to start any nuts on them, because the header pipes cross over them. In those areas you even have to have the header loose to start a header bolt.

I like useing the #2 on all the studs and bolts...
7349145_ptx_80016_pri_larg.jpg

Having done many header installs, it boils down to this. The configuration of the pipes depending on the manufacturer & size. In most BB cases you can do studs on all but the inner #1 pipe. There were a few other interference issues on some headers, but that was a long time ago, and those manufacturer s like Appliance and blackjack are long gone.

Absolutely, positively, 100%

depends.......
What headers you are using
What stud length you are using
What your mechanical aptitude is
And most importantly what your level of patience is......
20180908_133454.jpg
20180908_133545.jpg
69 RR
Manual trans
Mini starter
TTI 1 -7/8 headers
All studs

Measure wisely:rolleyes:

The 383 does have a little more room on both sides compared to a 440 but not that much. The norm is to have a stud front and back. That will make it easy to hang the header on the front stud when changing the starter. Use header bolts in between. Using studs in the middle will make it hard to start any nuts on them, because the header pipes cross over them. In those areas you even have to have the header loose to start a header bolt.

I like useing the #2 on all the studs and bolts...
View attachment 690259
Permatex is! Thanks

Having done many header installs, it boils down to this. The configuration of the pipes depending on the manufacturer & size. In most BB cases you can do studs on all but the inner #1 pipe. There were a few other interference issues on some headers, but that was a long time ago, and those manufacturer s like Appliance and blackjack are long gone.
If I go with studs around, or try to, what length is recommended?

Absolutely, positively, 100%

depends.......
What headers you are using
What stud length you are using
What your mechanical aptitude is
And most importantly what your level of patience is......View attachment 690263 View attachment 69026469 RR
Manual trans
Mini starter
TTI 1 -7/8 headers
All studs

Measure wisely:rolleyes:
So we have the same set up....(except the headers) what length are all your studs?

I'm using hedman long tubes fully studded. they go in from the top easily with the steering box out and motor mounts loose .only two dimples to keep them from rattling next to the power steering box. they wrap around the starter and torsion bars nicely. it's a tight fit but I have an order of which I follow that simplifies the process.

If you go in from the bottom you don't have to remove the steering box. But do make sure you have your mini starter already hooked up.

I used the stock cast manifold studs with the exception of header tube interference. Header bolts were then used were required.

If you go in from the bottom you don't have to remove the steering box. But do make sure you have your mini starter already hooked up.
So mount mini starter BEFORE installing headers?

Anybody know lengths and thread size of these bolts/studs?

Last edited:
Perfect! Thanks BeepRR!

If using studs, the number stud on both sides will need a 6 point nut and all others can use a 12 point.

Auto Transport Service
Back