• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 six pack harmonic balancer with six pack rods

XEO1-

Local time
9:55 AM
Reaction score
Will a 383 work with six pack rods and a six pack harmonic balancer.

Six pack rods do require a different balancer than a stock 440. As far as using it on a 383 I would say nope but I’ve been wrong before. The only reason I know of is the 4406 is externally balanced and has large counter weight on the balancer. The 383s I’ve seen don’t, except 71s. Use the right one and play it safe it’s not worth vibrating the bearings out of the bottom end.

Rods are too long for any normal configuration. Made for an RB.

I forgot to mention that... guys usually use a Chevy rod I hear...

Six Pack rods are old tech. They are very heavy and not the way to a quick revving engine. Guys are using aftermarket rods with the Chevy size big end and lighter pins to gain strength and light weight and less rotating friction.
Mike

When we pulled a standard Ly 440 rod in two w arp bolts it did not brake in the I beam where the 6 pack is heavier. It broke down in the rod bolt area where they are virtually the same. If mopar would've used bigger rod bolts a 6 pack would've been a upgrade...but mopar did not, they just add to the reciprocating mass. They aren't bad rods...just not worth upgrading 2.

Sell the damper and buy some aftermarket rods, youll be better off in the long run.

I would never run sixpack rods in anything. Too heavy, no strength increase. I sure wouldnt work ten seconds to try to put them in a 383.

Some will frown on me but I’d run and do run six pack rods I trust them more than a China made rod any day , but that’s my opinion as I will not support a country that wants to take us over .... I try my best not too. You’ll pay for good USA rods which to me is worth it too.

I blueprint the six pack rods, put new HD rod bolts and use a very light piston. A lot of labor but I too feel secure with an old USA rod.

Six pack rods do require a different balancer than a stock 440. As far as using it on a 383 I would say nope but I’ve been wrong before. The only reason I know of is the 4406 is externally balanced and has large counter weight on the balancer. The 383s I’ve seen don’t, except 71s. Use the right one and play it safe it’s not worth vibrating the bearings out of the bottom end.
But are they good?

But are they good?
I would spend zero dollars on sixpack rods, other than in a real sixpack engine, for restoration purposes. I would rather have standard LY rods, just as strong, not nearly as heavy.
And i would prefer a good aftermarket longer chevy rod. Lighter piston, lighter pin, smaller crank rod pin for less internal friction, winner all around.
If someone offered me a set of the heavy rods that needed rebuilding, for FREE, i wouldnt take em.
Does that answer your question?

by "good" what are you looking for? 4-500HP street motor fine. A 6-700 race motor no way only premium parts

I would spend zero dollars on sixpack rods, other than in a real sixpack engine, for restoration purposes. I would rather have standard LY rods, just as strong, not nearly as heavy.
And i would prefer a good aftermarket longer chevy rod. Lighter piston, lighter pin, smaller crank rod pin for less internal friction, winner all around.
If someone offered me a set of the heavy rods that needed rebuilding, for FREE, i wouldnt take em.
Smart person.

Most think too much now a days.

I don't understand all the " ooh...ahh and the crowds are impressed with 6 pak rods. A rotating mass that revs quickly usually has lightweight pistons/rods. We have much better alloy metals than what were available in 1969. I wouldn't give a nickel for NOS six pac rods. Just my 2 cents .

That whole "six pack rod" deal is an excuse to charge more money for something that brings little to the party. The funny thing is that I have read many times that the mythical "six pack rods" were used in a variety of non-six pack applications thus they more like a HD rod than a six pack specific item. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way for any especially with the aftermarket offering MUCH better rods. If it is a big money resto I get it but for everything else it isn't worth 2 seconds of thought.

Auto Transport Service
Back