• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 vs 440 Air Cleaners

I would say it's because they're showing the standard 330 horsepower not the 335HP "Magnum" 383

Was wondering why the 383 was a dual snorkel and the 440 was an unsilenced.

1968-Dodge-Charger.pdf (xr793.com)

View attachment 1045687 View attachment 1045688

Advertising... They wanted the pictures to look different.... Fact is the air cleaners were both used on both engines... At times there seemed no real reason why one was used over the other.... Dual Snorkels with A/C? Nope I knew of a few 68 Charger R/T's back in the day with unsilenced air cleaners... And a few with the Snorkels.... Roadrunner & Super Bee gets unsilenced? You'd think so but I knew guys back in the 70's with both designs....

Thanks Guys! Guess we'll chalk it up to what Ma Mopar was doing on any particular shift as well as what the inventory was that day.

I would think the C body 4 bbl motors would get the snorkels, and the B bodies got the unsilenced. My original 383-4bbl Charger got the unsilenced.

Part of the difference could be original destination. California required a noise reduction package in those years. No open aircleaners, and turndowns, not tips, on the exhaust .

Interesting as all I see in the 68 Charger Data Book the 383 listed as coming as a dual snorkel and the 440 as unsilenced

Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG

I would think the C body 4 bbl motors would get the snorkels, and the B bodies got the unsilenced. My original 383-4bbl Charger got the unsilenced.

Part of the difference could be original destination. California required a noise reduction package in those years. No open aircleaners, and turndowns, not tips, on the exhaust .

There are very specific instances that trigger noise reduction and in 68-69 California hadn't gotten there yet....

In 1970-71 a 440 Magnum without N96 got a dual Snorkel air cleaner & tips..
In 1970-71 a 440 Magnum with N96 still got an unsilenced air cleaner & tips... A 440-6 also got an unsilenced air cleaner but no tips, unless the person ordering the car clicked the right box then it got tips but Hemi resonators...

426 Hemi got no tips but an unsilenced air cleaner

Auto Transport Service
Back