• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

392 Hemi (Old School) Is There Any Market For Them?

Sam69sat

Local time
6:23 AM
Reaction score
Like the title says, is there a market for these older engines from the 50s? What type of forum would be a good place to post one for sale or ask questions? Thanks

Here or the HAMB. Perfect engine for a Henry J :)

They are Awesome Mills, in the right type of build, like a Street Rod. A friend has 2 Willys, a Sedan, and a Convertible. The Hemis really make those Cars Shine...
0920121846a.jpg
0823211741_HDR.jpg

Here's a pic of the engine. I don't know a lot of details about it yet except that it's supposed to be a 57 Chrysler 392 hemi. Looks like it's pretty much all there. There's a bellhousing attached and all the accessories look to be attached (alt, ps pump, exhaust manifolds, etc). Anything you guys can tell me about it i'd appreciate. It belongs to a friend and he's trying to figure out what a fair price would be. I'm not in the market to buy it. I'll get more details about it. Just let me know what kind of details would be helpful. Thanks

hemi2.jpg
hemi3.jpg

Just be aware that they only speak "old school" there, nothing over like 65 or something. I've got a 354 block I've been meaning to post over there.

The HAMB is a cool site. Ive Been a not so avid member for quite sometime. Good folks there. They know there stuff and have some very cool Cars.

Here's a pic of the engine. I don't know a lot of details about it yet except that it's supposed to be a 57 Chrysler 392 hemi. Looks like it's pretty much all there. There's a bellhousing attached and all the accessories look to be attached (alt, ps pump, exhaust manifolds, etc). Anything you guys can tell me about it i'd appreciate. It belongs to a friend and he's trying to figure out what a fair price would be. I'm not in the market to buy it. I'll get more details about it. Just let me know what kind of details would be helpful. Thanks

View attachment 1200572 View attachment 1200573
I have seen $100 old Hemi's and I have seen them go for way north of $1000. That one looks like it ran not too long ago because of the yellow plug wires. Offer $500 if it turns over. You couldn't go wrong with that.

If it is truly a 392 its worth quite a bit more than $500. The 392 and the 354 are popular with the street rod and crackle fest crowds. There is a bunch of G1 hemi's since Chrysler, Dodge and Desoto all made versions, but the 354 and 392 are best of the breed so to speak. Do your research before letting it go cheap.

I have seen $100 old Hemi's and I have seen them go for way north of $1000. That one looks like it ran not too long ago because of the yellow plug wires. Offer $500 if it turns over. You couldn't go wrong with that.
If it is truly a 392 its worth quite a bit more than $500. The 392 and the 354 are popular with the street rod and crackle fest crowds. There is a bunch of G1 hemi's since Chrysler, Dodge and Desoto all made versions, but the 354 and 392 are best of the breed so to speak. Do your research before letting it go cheap.
Ahhh I just read through post #6 again. It belongs to a friend and he doesn't know how much it is worth. Yes, The Hamb and do your homework. Now If I was buying, I would offer that $500. That's what stinks about "What's it worth" threads, buying or selling?

Not hearing it run? Not knowing if it requires sleeves or a crank shaft, Rods etc.. Parts are not cheap. All that stuff adds up. There not cheap to build. But are cool when they are.

That is very true but there is a market for them. I built a 330 Desoto and there is very little parts for those along with most of the other G1 Hemi's, however the 392 has a much larger aftermarket in comparison.

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0193.JPG

Always a market for a ‘92’ that’s what the ‘In crowd’ call ‘em.
I had one I was saving for a project dragster, but a close friend (got cancer) needed a motor for his 41 Willy’s coupe, so I let him have it (for free).
Bet you is thinking I’m mad, err no, cos he has spent a small fortune on parts already...

Once you say “hemi” anywhere on da planet, your trousers are coming down (for a good shafting) as we say in England...:usflag::wtf::fool:

Last edited:
Next most expensive ”white elephant” is the Poly, a poorman’s hemi.
But if you ain’t mad or loaded, you Is in da Hemi-Boat too lol...

Prepare to be boarded and abused (financially) of course...:thankyou:

I'll take one or two.

Best place to post is on Hot Heads https://hothemiheads.com/ . Old hemis is all they do. The HAMB is a cool site but putting a hemi in their classifieds is pretty much a waste of time in my opinion.

Also, there is a ton of free info on there site for you to decode what that motor came out of, year, etc..

Auto Transport Service
Back