• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

392 Hemi Restomod - 69 Coronet - Best Place To Buy Motor

Travis May

Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 392 crate, wiring harness, headers and everything else needed to drop the 6.4 into my 69 Coronet. I am already running Gerst tubes up front so the engine bay should be ready. Does anyone know where the best/cheapest place is to source these parts new? Looking for both price and service level. The engine price seems to vary quite a bit online so I am hoping someone has personal experience.

Thanks!

When I was looking everyone said "go to the salvage yard" or "check eBay", well I did all that and ended up buying a 5.7 from JEGS. I am sure there are deals out there but I never found one. The problem I had with the salvage deal (unless local) was if there was a problem, most places had 90 day warranties and my car is a long way from putting the engine in so I wanted a longer warranty. I was not after big HP, the 5.7 has 375-390 (depending on whose numbers you want to believe), swap out the cam and you can get around 465 hp for far less than a 392, but I also see the attraction, I just didn't want to spend the money.

See what the mail order amount will be with the shipping. Not all mail order gives free shipping which can be very expensive. You may be money ahead at that point to get it from your local dealer. Also check Glendora Dodge in Glendora. They usually have displays at the Flings.

I am looking to buy a 392 crate, wiring harness, headers and everything else needed to drop the 6.4 into my 69 Coronet. I am already running Gerst tubes up front so the engine bay should be ready. Does anyone know where the best/cheapest place is to source these parts new? Looking for both price and service level. The engine price seems to vary quite a bit online so I am hoping someone has personal experience.

Thanks!
If you're still looking.......definately give the guys at Americas Most Wanted 4x4 a call. I bought my 392 Hemi crate from them for $7999 shipped. The first one arrived damaged and I got a chance to see their service.....They handled my resulting meltdown with expertise and immediately took care of it by sending a second engine. Can't speak highy enough of these guys! Friendly, knowledable, and they take care of their customers!

I bought my 392 Hemi from Cleveland Power and Performance in Ohio. They buy wrecked challengers, chargers, etc. and tear the entire drivetrain out, Engine, trans, gauges, wiring harness, fuel tank, brake pedal, gas pedal and put it all on a pallet and sell it as a running motor. It was about $8500 when I bought it. Then you just have to make it all work in the car.

IMG_5836.JPG IMG_1157.JPG

Blueprint Engines, FABO member tons sold there and no issues at all and support is great also.

I bought my 392 Hemi from Cleveland Power and Performance in Ohio. They buy wrecked challengers, chargers, etc. and tear the entire drivetrain out, Engine, trans, gauges, wiring harness, fuel tank, brake pedal, gas pedal and put it all on a pallet and sell it as a running motor. It was about $8500 when I bought it. Then you just have to make it all work in the car.

View attachment 1097445 View attachment 1097446
How are you controlling the nag1?

How are you controlling the nag1?

I converted the entire 2012 srt8 stock wiring harness into the 68 charger. Everything I am using is directly from that harness. Everything I don't need I am getting rid of.

are you using the wheel speed sensors and such?

I haven't quite gotten that far yet. I am not sure if I will need to use the wheel speed sensors or if the transmission is controlled by an internal speed sensor.

This could go in the" I'm so old..." post. When I saw the post title, I thought of 392 Imperial 1st gen. hemi rather than 6.4.

I haven't quite gotten that far yet. I am not sure if I will need to use the wheel speed sensors or if the transmission is controlled by an internal speed sensor.
If you've not read @Darius 's build thread on all this is the next thing you should do.

Auto Transport Service
Back