• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Bow headliner hole selection / location for 72 RR

Randall Miller

Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
Yeah....so my upholstery shop said no matter what you do, mark the holes for the headliner or it be an awful install. I carefully marked everything w a paint pen...then somewhere between media blast and paint my marks are gone :(.

Its a 4 bow set up. I left the bows in order in the old headliner but really need to know which holes.

Any help is appreciated.

72 RR

Thank you
Rudy

307AC94D-E55E-4A9A-B9B4-688DC086A334.jpeg

8CAFD1EC-7696-4920-B512-6104A6E1F19E.jpeg

I took my 71 headliner out today. Every bow was in the forward hole of the 3-hole set...not sure if the helps.

Sorry for the less than optimal photos, but I was on a roll and said to myself “hey dummy, you better get some pics!”

Its a 4 bow set up. I left the bows in order in the old headliner

What you did here was the most helpful. The holes are about the height of the bow in the roof and not front to back. Test fit the bows one at a time, remember to mark them before removing from the original headlining. I always use a tape flag with a number, wire markers work too.

Try the middle set of holes first and see how it fits. I always try to get them as high as I can without touching anything, and a slight left to right movement. Lightly touching the padding is okay. Remember the hoop in the headlining that the bow slips in, (called listing ), needs some clearance. If the bow is too low, there is a chance one end could come out of the hole after the headliner is installed, not an easy fix. They also don't need to match holes side to side on each bow but I like to try to match holes along the sides. (i. e. middle holes passenger side, top hole driver side, I've seen factory installs like this).

Also make sure the bows are smooth and clean, no rust scale or burs. This helps let the listing slide along the bow when stretching the wrinkles out side to side. Good news is you only have 4 to do.

Pockets for the bows are sewed into the liner. I hope the shop has the remains of the old one. They are placed in the seams of the liner. My FSM only covers the chassis otherwise I would post that section for you.

Thanks very much gents! Yes, my bows are in order in the old headliner. I just lost the hole placement.

SMS68...Is yours a 4 bow or 6 bow set up?

Thanks very much gents! Yes, my bows are in order in the old headliner. I just lost the hole placement.

I am not sure. I did mine 40 years ago. If I remember tomorrow I will try to count them.

Mine is 6, but figured it might not hurt to see it lol

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back