• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed clutch issues

moparfanUSA

Local time
5:15 PM
Reaction score
I just had the 4th clutch installed in 2 years. Each time after about a month the clutch starts to slip and it gets to the point where I have to change it, at first we just changed the disc, then starting changing the pressure plate, throwout bearing, disc, ect. but end up with the same results. Now just had a NEW 3 finger "Borg and Beck" style disk and plate and still have the same issues. There is plenty of play in the clutch pedal at the top. We have adjusted the rod from the fork in and out so that the clutch grabs real quick and grabs later with the same results. So I am left with.... is it the Flywheel or possibly the length of the throwout bearing, but I made sure that I used the OEM part number from the service manual (throwout bearing) and also the throwout bearing that has come with the kits. The flywheel has also been turned to make sure it is not glazed.
Any suggestions to look for?

Cooked many a factory clutch in the '70's before going to the local speed shop and buying a Hayes pressure plate and McLeod disc. Still using the same 40 year old pressure plate and a new disc after restoration.. can't make it slip even power shifting at 5500 with my 2.94 rear end !

I purchased a Hays disk and PP, brand new a week ago

If you have free play in your pedal the plate is in and doing what ever it can. I have the OE flywheel from '69 that I turned in my old '42 forward lathe and roughed up with a 60 grit pad in an angle grinder, plus the old 1979 or so Hayes pressure plate that I gave the same 60 grit treatment and a new disc I picked up on Ebay for 30 bucks. It'll be there for the rest of my life. The previous disk was probably still good with 55,000 or so HARD miles on it from my teenage years, but I figured I'd splurge and bought a new disc.. :) Something is definitely amiss in your set up..

well, I did remove the spring for the 3 diagram clutches and that did not help, with the Borg and Beck one, I have not put back on there. According to Brewers, I should not need it on the new one either, although it it would not hurt it.

Can you post pictures of the last failed PP, flywheel, and disc surfaces? Maybe someone can see something you're missing.

I had some issues like that at one time.

Root cause was a badly corroded input shaft ( can't remember the Chrysler term) that was letting trans fluid get on the clutch.

Speed-de-sleeve and a new seal fixed it up.

The last time I did a Hays, you could send to the pp back for rebuild, but that was before Holley. Cost about 60 bucks.

Hays Gold - Street/Strip.
Once and done, expensive? Yes
- for an old time Musclecar feel, this is it.
Not for the weak kneed out there.
Just remember to go to the Gym for your right leg.

You don't say how you're using the car. Are you racing or just driving normal? Is there plenty of surface and thickness left on the disc or is it paper thin when you remove it? May be get help and have someone depress clutch pedal and watch action below and when pedal is released see if clutch is fully engaged. Is wear pattern uneven? Surface of flywheel smooth? A lot to check but somewhere in there lies your problem. I have a hemi and tremec in 71 Cuda and have clutch in there for years. Of course no racing or popping clutch at 3000 RPM.

No complaints.. and maybe why I shift clutchless most of the time!
beerestoration2017 076.JPG
beerestoration2017 077.JPG

Cooked many a factory clutch in the '70's before going to the local speed shop and buying a Hayes pressure plate and McLeod disc. Still using the same 40 year old pressure plate and a new disc after restoration.. can't make it slip even power shifting at 5500 with my 2.94 rear end !
ever deal with Bully clutches in Ottawa. put them in a few cars they do a great job

Nope, Perth "speed shop" in 1979, same pressure plate and clutch disc was still in there in 2016 ! Now still the same pressure plate... and a new disc that I'm currently beating the **** out of.

Nope, Perth "speed shop" in 1979, same pressure plate and clutch disc was still in there in 2016 ! Now still the same pressure plate... and a new disc that I'm currently beating the **** out of.
drive it like you stole it!

check your free play at the through out bearing to the clutch fingers . there must be clearance there when the pedal is up.

Did you check if the clutch disc slid on the input shaft freely when you had it apart ?
Could have burs on it or a twisted input shaft. Just an idea.

Since I'm not real happy with the RAM HDX B&B clutch in mine (due in no small part to the dude I had
slap the "new" 18 spline in there NOT having the flywheel resurfaced, the idjit), I've been checking
out what's out there for 18 spline 11" clutches.
But...
Short of the RAM stuff, there aren't any other new B&B clutches being made in that size, it appears?
Not Hayes, not McLeod, nada. I don't really know that much about alternatives (what the heck is a
10.95" clutch, for example?). I have the heavy 11" factory flywheel, the factory 11" bellhousing, etc.
along with the 18 spline, so I'd just as soon stick with all that.
The struggle is real...

Auto Transport Service
Back