• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 speed conversion help

madmopar

Local time
9:02 PM
Reaction score
A few questions for the 4 speed experts. So I'm in the process of converting my 68 charger from a 318 /904 to big block 4 speed. I've been collecting parts for the conversion for some time now and have started since I seem to have a bit more free time now. First question is the shift fork, not sure if I have the correct one. The bellhousing is an 11" P# 2892262, I attached a pic of my current fork with an appox. overall length of 11 1/2 ish". Is this correct? Seems everywhere I look online they are 10 1/2 or 12 1/2 with no mention of a 68 b body. The other question about the shift rods and levers. The trans unit I have is a A833 OD that fits perfectly into the bellhousing (I believe the bearing retainer has been turned down). Just not sure on what rods and levers to use. The trans did not include any levers. Can I just order a set of rods and levers for a 68 b body? or do they have to be specific for an OD unit?

20201227_160251.jpg

Can't help with fork.
ba.JPG
ba1.JPG
This part of the process of mating a bellhousing.

You can order a set of shift rods for a B-body, just the 3/4 lever on the tranny will need to be flipped since the OD is actually 3rd gear. so with the stock rods and shifter you need the linkage to hit 4th in the tranny for 3rd gear, and then 4th will be 3rd gear in the tranny.

Ok so b body rods and levers just flip the 3/4 lever?
Will this shifter work? Its a hurst 3914076? Sorry for all the questions, never had any experience with a manual transmission before kinda learning as I go.

20201227_195207.jpg

That is a 10.5" clutch fork.

Get a new Hurst shifter, you will thank me.

On my 72 I used stock rods and levers on the OD trans and everything worked fine.

I prefer the Hurst shifter. If you are after authenticity buy a Hurst mechanism that accepts the Inlamd handle from Brewers. Just one guy's opinion.

I prefer the Hurst shifter. If you are after authenticity buy a Hurst mechanism that accepts the Inlamd handle from Brewers. Just one guy's opinion.

Will be WAY more enjoyable to drive.

but it appears he already has a hurst shifter, so appears he planning on using it.

Wasn't really planning for authenticity just yet and may consider it in the near future. What about the fork? Will this 10 1/2 be ok with my bellhousing?

Btw, I once changed a 70 RR from 10.5 stock bell housing / flywheel etc to 68 11”. Used the same clutch fork.

Its pouring cats and dogs out today. Tomorrow I'll dig out the throwout bearing, bell and trans and mock up the fork and post some pics of its fitment. If the rain lets up then maybe later today.

You have a Hurst Competition shifter....if it's in good shape then I'd just run it, if it has any questionable issues I'd send it off to be rebuilt.

Just hook up the rods and lever the way a stock set-up would be, then unbolt the 3/4 lever off the tranny and flip it 180*.

Auto Transport Service
Back