• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4-speed GTX rear end

Jakepiney

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
I have owned a 1967 GTX 440 4-speed car for 33 years. Purchased from the original owners brother. She special ordered the car. It has a 8-3/4 rear end. Everyone says it had to come with a Dana 60 but the original owners say it did not. Have watched TV shows that say all 4-speed cars came with the Dana 60. Can anyone clear this up for me. The car is a true survivor. All original if I can clear up the rear end issue. Thanks

This is not true, not all 440 4 speeds came with a Dana 60. Most 440 4 speeds did not come with a Dana 60, but came with a 8-3/4.
I believe the Dana 60 was offered as an option package.

This is not true, not all 440 4 speeds came with a Dana 60. Most 440 4 speeds did not come with a Dana 60, but came with a 8-3/4.
I believe the Dana 60 was offered as an option package.

Ummmm....you might want to do a little more research on that.

HH has a lot of the original data books which lists standard equipment: http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

That is actually not true. The 67 GTX with 440 and a 4 speed came standard with a 9 3/4 Dana rear end. The 8 3/4 rear end for that model is not standard issue. Does the car have a fender tag? If so, can you tell us what it says on the fender tag and we might be able to help you out in case you have some sort of special order.

I have owned a 1967 GTX 440 4-speed car for 33 years. Purchased from the original owners brother. She special ordered the car. It has a 8-3/4 rear end. Everyone says it had to come with a Dana 60 but the original owners say it did not. Have watched TV shows that say all 4-speed cars came with the Dana 60. Can anyone clear this up for me. The car is a true survivor. All original if I can clear up the rear end issue. Thanks

The 8.75 would be an incredible exception. The easiest way to start to figure this out is to look at the fender tag. Does the AX code show 68 or 48?

Which 8.75 carrier does the car have? What is the date code on the carrier?

The only way to prove that claim is with the broadcast sheet, window sticker or some other factory document. Have you tried contacting Chrysler Historical to see if they have the IBM card for the car? That could be one way to document the car.

69coronetrt, sounds like we are on the same thought process as the same time right now. Haha.

The fender tag is AX68. The build sheet under the back seat does not match the car. Wrong serial number. And yes I have a copy of the IBM card

The fender tag is AX68. The build sheet under the back seat does not match the car. Wrong serial number. And yes I have a copy of the IBM card

What does it say on the IBM card for AXLE?
Can you tell what numbers are punched out in column 40?
Does the Sales Order number start with anything but 02*** or 05***?

Try to see which carrier the car has and the date code on the carrier.

The copy is not good at all. The shipping order starts with 42 if that's the same as the sales order. There is 2 punches on line 40 but impossible to tell what they are. The copy is horrible. All I can tell is it is punched on line 2 and line 4 going from left to right.

- - - Updated - - -

The copy is not good at all. The shipping order starts with 42 if that's the same as the sales order. There is 2 punches on line 40 but impossible to tell what they are. The copy is horrible. All I can tell is it is punched on line 2 and line 4 going from left to right.

- - - Updated - - -

Where do I look to tell which carrier it is and get the date code ?

I hate to disagree,but In 1987 I was trying to purchase a 1969 super Bee hemi four speed, black with rubberfloors, 40,000 actual miles. North Houston,,I had just sold my 68' R/T charger440hp four speed. He wanted $6,000.00.for his car, and I had just sold my R/T for $1,500.00 just prior to that. I said, who would pay four times as much for a Hemi? Then, I looked underneath, and it had a 8 3/4 rear end. I asked what was that all about? He got mad, and said it came that way. Bought new, and had the build sheet to prove it. So, never say never witha Mopar. Not all 440 and Hemi cars had a Dana rear end. I apologized, and left wishing I could find $ 6,000. I have also owned a couple examples, that had the 8 3/4 rear in later years.

Where do I look to tell which carrier it is and get the date code ?

I can help with the IBM card if you want it.
Look here for both the type (742, 489, etc) of rear end and a casting date on the housing. I presume you'll find something similar.

- - - Updated - - -

....Not all 440 and Hemi cars had a Dana rear end.

Yeah...It think that got a little twisted early.

The 8.75 was standard behind a Hemi/440 automatic.

67-72 440 and Hemi cars with four speed got a Dana.

In my experience, "Never say Never" rarely holds up to scrutiny. Presenting an 'exception to a rule' requires a lot of rock solid documentation.

Here's a recent 'never say never' find: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,108986.0.html

- - - Updated - - -

The copy is not good at all. The shipping order starts with 42 if that's the same as the sales order. There is 2 punches on line 40 but impossible to tell what they are. The copy is horrible. All I can tell is it is punched on line 2 and line 4 going from left to right.[/COLOR]

What's the entire 8 character SO number from the fender tag?

'From Left to Right' indicates to me you have turned the card 90 degrees with column 80 at the bottom.
The lowest row (furthest left when turned) is used for the number 9. The next row (column in this perspective) would be an 8. Since that is punched out, that tells us the car came with a Sure Grip. The next row is 7 and the next row is 6. If that is punched out, that tells us the car came with the 68 Axle, also appearing on the fender tag. The 68 code tells us the car came with a 9.75 rear end; standard for a 440-four speed car. Without seeing the card and seeing something that overrides the 68 code, one has to presume the car came with the Dana.

Memories fade over time. It would be easy to forget that mom wanted a lower geared car and the rear end was switched. Maybe they remember the gears were switched but did not know that it would require swapping the whole rear end. They could very well not really know anything about the history or what happened, why and when.

Attachments

• Rear_end_450_casting_Date.jpg
    Rear_end_450_casting_Date.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 785
rear end

Mgkelly is largely right, if someone ordered a car, there was a great deal of flexibility. I did take take a moment to call a relative that was a new car order Supervisor at Husker Dodge in Omaha on 50th and L in 1968, and he stated that standard options were as clearly advertised.
However, many orders were taken that didn't conform with the standard order form. Many didn't want a Dana, as well as other options. They got what they wanted, and things were frequently deleted. He mentioned one particular order, where a Parent allowed his son to buy a 69' GTX. However, the father didn't want a 440 engine. That car showed up with a 383, and the buildsheet
noted it. Things did happen, so I wouldn't put too much stock in the records. I was there then, and saw numerous friends order unusual combinations, and unfortunatly many cars were sold
that are long gone, and can't be documented. But It did happen nevertheless.

The company line was 440 + 4 spd got the Dana. But I will also accept the fact that isn't carved in stone. What if the original owner wanted highway gears? Check the fender tag to see what ratio. Dana's were 3.54 or 4.10. What if the rear end swap was done at the dealership? What if it was done on the owner's driveway when the car was 3 yrs old and they don't remember because someone else did the work? Many things can happen in 40+ yrs.

Im new to the forum. Thanks for all the responses. All I know for sure is a 19 year old girl special ordered the car. She said she ordered it as plain as she could. It was ordered with hubcaps and whitewall tires. Only real option she ordered was a AM/FM radio. She then sold it to her brother. I purchased it from him and they both said nothing had ever been done to the car. This was in 1980. Thanks again everyone. I really enjoy reading about the different topics.

Jakepiney, I hope you got your answer and not more confused after reading it all. I believe the 8 3/4 in your car is the original and my question would be if the 440 / 4 speed / Dana 60 was standard, why would they offer a Track Pack option?

There was no Track Pak option in '66,7,8... The first mention of the A33 Track Pak was in 1969. ALL 1966, 7 and 8 Dodge and Plymouth B-bodies with the 426 Hemi and 440 4-speed were "supposed" to come with a 3.54 Dana 60. The 18 spline transmission was standard with those two engines as well, when optioned with the A833. Lots of mis-information tossed about here. Sure, crazy things did happen I'm sure, but they weren't nearly as common as people like to believe...

A fellow on Moparts did own the only "proven" (so far), 1970 U-code 4-spd GTX that had an 8 3/4 rear from the factory. Both, the broadcast sheet and fender tag listed it as a 3.55 sure grip A36 Performance axle pkg.

To the OP- your fender tag has the correct code for a Dana 60 with Sure Grip ( 3.54 gears, no 4.10 option then). Not to bash the original owner of your GTX, but people tend to forget things and how many "ordinary" car buyers back then, actually knew the difference between a D60 and 8 3/4? I'll bet she took it in for a service and some dirt bag mechanic at the shop, swapped out the rears. It happened to the original owner of a '70 440 6 pack Charger RT that I owned. The 4-spd was grinding, so he brought it to a tranny shop, 25 years later I buy the car and believed him that is was all #'s matching, wouldn't you know it, it has a 23 spline 4-spd with a partial VIN on the case showing it was out of a '74 model year car!

- - - Updated - - -

Another example of poor memory, comes from the original owner of my '69 A12 Super Bee: He will swear up and down that it came with a pistol grip shifter and raised white letter tires! Yet, the original spare tire was still in the trunk and sure enough, it was the correct and ONLY available tire on that model, the Goodyear G70-15 redline Polyglas. And, in the box of parts that was also in the trunk... A mint and correct Hurst console shifter with the correct woodgrain ball in near NOS condition! He had the pistolgrip in there for so long, he forgot reality.

Auto Transport Service
Back