• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Speed Pedal Question

dryheat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:27 AM
Reaction score
I purchased a 4-speed pedal setup for my 64 Polara a long time ago and I am just getting ready to install it. I started by getting it cleaned up and painted but when I started to examine it it a little more closely I realized that I may not have the correct assembly. I appears as though the bracket that the steering column attaches too may not be correct as it centers the column directly into the brake pedal arm. Please excuse the really bad pictures. Any help or suggestions (even if I am just being stupid) would be greatly appreciated.

brake pedal 1.jpg

brake pedal 2.jpg

brake pedal 3.jpg

I have been working on these parts for my 70 set up and looking at yours when looking down the column is the long bracket got a twist to it ?
Should it be straingtened out ?
maybe try to mount it in the car with out the column to see how the holes all line up first

There will be dimples in the firewall where studs go through, They need to be drilled.
dodge c.JPG

I have been working on these parts for my 70 set up and looking at yours when looking down the column is the long bracket got a twist to it ?
Should it be straingtened out ?
maybe try to mount it in the car with out the column to see how the holes all line up first
There is definitely a twist to the upper column support. The car is for paint and as soon as I get it back I will get the pedals in first and see what happens. Thanks!

My 62 didn't need that extra bracket:

Not clear what years need it, or why some pedals are different overall: 62, 63, 64, 65 Clutch Pedal Assembly, differences?

I don't know for sure, but I'm going to say the 64 and 65 are probably the same. Here are pics of my 65 pedal assembly and as mounted in the car originally. Your upper bracket is definitely twisted.

PedalsFinished2.jpg

PedalsFinished3.jpg

IMG_3776.JPG

Here's what I found out when installing a set of 63 pedals removed from a 330 4 door into my 65 Coronet...

The only thing that was different was that the 65 steering column uses 4 bolts and the bracket that was was bolted to the 63 column was only designed for 2 bolts on the bottom side of the column...

Swapped out the brace that bolts to the pedal assembly and ties into the dash at the column for the 65 design with the 4 holes and it fixed everything...

The brace I swapped out is what looks twisted in the above pics...

Auto Transport Service
Back