• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

4 Speed Rear Seal Removal

HawkRod

Formerly hsorman
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
I have now confirmed that my A-833 leaks fairly significantly at the rear seal area. The FSM calls this the "Extension Housing Yoke Seal".

I would like to remove and replace this seal with the transmission in the car. The FSM shows a special tool, C-3985, that looks like a large pickle fork. Does the seal just pry off? I just don't want to cause any big issues by trying the wrong thing.

Appreciate advice on how to remove and replace this seal.

Thanks,

Hawk

just a regular tap in seal.cut off the boot and you can see the metal of the seal.i use a slide hammer with a hook,but,you can get a screw driver under the lip and some taps with a hammer should work fine as well.try driving the screw driver at a 45 degree angle once you get it under the edge.(up and towards the rear)just take your time,not too hard.

Yep ! or get a seal puller at a auto parts store . Looks like a double headid fish hook.

[video]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12-SEAL-PULLER-TOOL-O-RING-REMOVER-pry-bar-2-pointed-tip-oil-grease-/360763203308?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item53ff299eec&vxp=mtr[/video]

just a regular tap in seal.cut off the boot and you can see the metal of the seal.i use a slide hammer with a hook,but,you can get a screw driver under the lip and some taps with a hammer should work fine as well.try driving the screw driver at a 45 degree angle once you get it under the edge.(up and towards the rear)just take your time,not too hard.

What he said.

THANK YOU to all!

This gives me the confidence to go in and do it. I usually never like press fit items because you have to use some force and I am always afraid I will break something. When I am not sure, then I REALLY don't like to force anything. I've busted enough stuff in my day... :-(

Since this seal is leaking so significantly, I want to replace it before I drive it too much more.

Thanks again for the help!

Check the fit of the rear bushing on the driveline yoke while the seal is out. It may be the reason the seal has let go. Or it just might be a 45 year old seal.

Better do a good inspection on the drive yoke and the bushing.

Auto Transport Service
Back